The Sewing Place

Poll

What should be the first competition in 2018? (3 votes per member)

My signature collection - create a mini wardrobe of 9-12 pieces over a few months (there will be some rules, but I'll try to include everybody's dress style/preference
13 (9.5%)
A 'new to me' pattern - garments, accessories... anything goes as long as it's based on a pattern
6 (4.4%)
'What I'd love to have in my closet' (anything but a skeleton goes)
7 (5.1%)
I have a special occasion to go to and nothing to wear
5 (3.6%)
A 'new to me' technique on a finished item (anything from bound buttonholes, free motion quilting, to a set in sleeve counts)
6 (4.4%)
Facing my fear: techniques, fabrics...
5 (3.6%)
Pattern matching (accessories/garments), the pattern can be florals, tartans, stripes...
3 (2.2%)
I need more lace in my life (anything goes, as long as lace is being used)
7 (5.1%)
Fabric manipulation (felting, painting, embroidery, batik, tie dyeing.....)
5 (3.6%)
Unselfish sewing (for your other half, a friend, a relative) - anything goes
7 (5.1%)
Tart up your tartan - clever or unusual use of plaids in garments
6 (4.4%)
Florals rule - garments
9 (6.6%)
Life's a beach - swim wear, beach bags, cover ups
4 (2.9%)
Design Challenge - one pattern 3 ways
14 (10.2%)
Craft challenge: design and make co-ordinated storage solutions
0 (0%)
Piece & Quilt: a sudoku sampler of 'new to you' patterns and/or techniques and follow up with a main project that uses two or more of the new techniques
1 (0.7%)
Refashion, Upcycle or Recycle (anything that came from a second hand shop, something handed down to you etc.) – garments or accessories
11 (8%)
Mate your orphans competition – make two pieces that go with an orphan in your closet (the orphan can be a garment, a bag or a pair of shoes)
8 (5.8%)
'Inspired by..." - make your own version of a RTW garment, be it high end or just something seen on the high street
7 (5.1%)
'Look what I did with my scraps' - garments, accessories , quilts....
13 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: January 23, 2018, 10:12:48 AM

The votes are in: competitions in 2018

Manuela

The votes are in: competitions in 2018
« on: January 13, 2018, 10:12:48 AM »
It's time to vote for the first competition of 2018. I suggest to run one competition or two (for example a long wardrobing completion could run along with a single item one) at a time, so your votes decide which order they are done. Every member has 3 votes.

Please comment in the comments section what sew-alongs you want to see up first, please also comment whether or not you agree to the three stickies I mentioned (Sudoku filler, season 4-6PAC, stash busting sew-alongs)

Here is the summary of the sew-along & competitions thread I started a few days ago with the input of everyone included. it's quite a list and will keep us fairly busy for a few years.
Wardrobe planning:
- seasonal PACs - Spring, Summer, Autumn & Winter sew-alongs of 4-6 (or more) coordinating garments that over time create a wardrobe
- Sudoku sewing (my personal favourite) - a 16-square grid that consists of shoes, accessories, tops and bottoms where everything coordinates - a sew-along
- My Signature Collection - a competition running over several months, creating a mini wardrobe consisting of 9-12 coordinating pieces (number of garments and time frame to be decided/voted on)

Single/multiple items sew-alongs/competitions
- a 'new to me' pattern - competition
- 'What I'd love to have in my closet' (anything but a skeleton goes)
- I have a special occasion to go to and nothing to wear
- A 'new to me' technique on a finished item (anything from bound buttonholes, free motion quilting, to a set in sleeve counts)
- facing my fear (mine would be sewing silk chiffon)
- pattern matching (accessories/garments)
- I need more lace in my life
- fabric manipulation (felting, painting, embroidery, batik, tie dyeing.....)
- unselfish sewing (for your other half, a friend, a relative)
- sewing for charities (sew-along, anything goes)
- seasonal items like winter coats, summer dresses, etc. - sew-along
- tart up your tartan
- florals rule
- life is a beach
- Design Challenge - one pattern 3 ways (competition)
- craft challenge: design and make co-ordinated storage solutions (experimenting and trying out the planning, problem solving, pattern making and assembly process from end to end.
eg. Bathroom set of Laundry bag, hanging towel caddy, wash bags and fabric box style containers
or Bedroom set of lingerie/sock bags, shoe storage, jewellery/makeup brush rolls and so on
or Sewing room/Craft room or hobby storage solutions, etc.
- piece & quilt: a sudoku sampler of 'new to you' patterns and/or techniques and follow up with a main project that uses two or more of the new techniques.
Could be a great way to try a sampler of 9 different block patterns and another sampler of 9 blocks different fabric manipulation or heirloom techniques – the finished product can be a quilt, cushion covers or several small items
- a sew-along exploring making underwear eg. knickers, slips, bra and shapewear
- an active-wear sew-along - leggings, shorts, T-shirt + sweatshirt jacket
- a hand sewn techniques sew-along - Alabama Chanin techniques, shadow folds project, hand smocking/embroidery, etc.
- a refashion, upcycle or recycle competition (anything that came from a second hand shop, something handed down to you etc.) – garments or accessories
- a 'stash busting' sew-along, with everything allowed (quilting, garments, soft furnishing, soft storage, garments...)
- mate your orphans competition – make two pieces that go with an orphan in your closet (the orphan can be a garment, a bag or a pair of shoes)
- ‘Inspired by….’ - make your own version of a ready to wear garment, be it high end or just something seen on the high street – competition
- ‘look what I did with my scraps’ – competition

I’d see the ‘Sudoku-filler’, ‘Seasonal 4-6PACs’ as well as the ‘Stash busting’ sew-along as sticky threads. The former is are for the wardrobing crowd, the latter appeals to everyone who has ‘a bit too much fabric’.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 09:26:35 AM by Manuela »

Goth Gardiner

Re: Poll: What should be the first competition of 2018?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 11:32:24 AM »
I was wondering if there could be some cross over of these.  For example I would vote for the Tartan of e but would entering something in thathe mean I couldn't do it as a Swap?
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Manuela

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 12:12:18 PM »
You could use any entry of a single competition also for the wardrobing one, you've sewn it yourself after all. For the Signature Collection (I don't want to call it SWAP, as this is the key competition of the Stitcher's Guild), you will also be allowed a number of previously sewn or RTW pieces.
You can vote for anything here, that doesn't mean you have to enter it  :)
You can also take part in as many competitions you like  :D

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 15:59:03 PM »
Any idea when  the decision will be made?...

Vegegrow

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 16:00:50 PM »
Says at the bottom of the Results List Effie 23rd Jan
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 16:48:08 PM »
DOH....Must learn to read the destructions!

Only 27 people voted... come on get your votes in!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 17:10:23 PM »
I didn't realise that this poll differed from the first in that here you could vote for more than one thing - and now it won't let me as it just shows the results so far.  :(

Manuela

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 07:30:51 AM »
I didn't realise that this poll differed from the first in that here you could vote for more than one thing - and now it won't let me as it just shows the results so far.  :(

@Bodgeitandscarper if you voted for the first one, please vote here again. I didn't know how to move and change the poll, hence I did a new one  :)

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 08:23:01 AM »
Thanks Manuela.  I have voted here as well, but only voted for one item, when I think I could have voted for more?  It doesn't really matter though  :)

Francesca

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 11:54:31 AM »
@Bodgeitandscarper there is a little plus in green below the poll. Click that, click "Remove vote" and you can start afresh.

Manuela

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 11:55:58 AM »
Thanks Manuela.  I have voted here as well, but only voted for one item, when I think I could have voted for more?  It doesn't really matter though  :)
You should be able to change your vote, I ticked that in the settings when I set up the poll.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 12:02:06 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper there is a little plus in green below the poll. Click that, click "Remove vote" and you can start afresh.
Aha!  Had no idea that's what it did!  All done now, thank you Fran and Manuela  :)

toileandtrouble

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 15:15:28 PM »
Only 36 voters up to press.  I am wondering if people don't realise this is an ongoing poll for another week.  Or perhaps they are still mulling it over?  I have picked three, but one or two more are interesting to me.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Manuela

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 23:42:22 PM »
Only 36 voters up to press.  I am wondering if people don't realise this is an ongoing poll for another week.  Or perhaps they are still mulling it over?  I have picked three, but one or two more are interesting to me.

Feel free to comment here on the other ideas that interest you  :)

Manuela

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 09:24:10 AM »
Thank you everyone for the suggestions and of course for voting. So, here the first few competitions in order:

1. Design Challenge - one pattern three ways

2. My Signature Collection - create a mini wardrobe of 9-12 pieces
    Look what I did with my scraps
I think those two challenges/competions can be run at the same time, as they appeal to different demographics here  :)

3. Refashion, Upcycle or Recycle (anything that came from a second hand shop, something handed down to you, etc.) - garments or accessories

4. Florals Rule (great fro Spring/Summer) - any garment done in a floral print, embroidery, etc

5. Mate your Orphans - make two pieces that go with an orphan in your closet

I keep this thread up as a sticky (just change the title), feel free to add more suggestions in the comments.

I'll put the first competition up later this week, as well as a wardrobe Sudoku sew-along.