The Sewing Place

Jersey "not suitable for newbies"

UttaRetch

Re: Jersey "not suitable for newbies"
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 20:27:51 PM »
There is a Textile Centre in Walthamstow (London), but the shop is small and will only have a tiny proportion of the stock.  Still, it's been a while since I was in Walthamstow and I do like leisurely bus journeys. :D

Marniesews

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 22:38:14 PM »
(These days I don't bother with ballpoints and just use Stretch Needles for all knits and any wovens with lycra.  Fewer Needle types to manage)

Me too, @Morgan , and since I discovered BSK sold the Organ Superstretch HAx1SP chrome coated in packs of 10 I now use those for everything. They last so much longer too!  :) They're often not shown online for some reason so it helps that they're on the route of a weekly visit to my friend which means I can just pop in and save postage as well.  ;)

As for the fabric...I notice this is a lightweight jersey so I suspect all the jersey 'quirks' will be magnified so that anything less than gentle handling and the right needles, stitches etc will be punished. I suspect that's the reason for the warning.

I'd also suggest to stay clear of the lightning stitch and triple straight stitch as they are brutes for anything at all delicate. A small wobble stitch is probably a safer bet.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

sewingj

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2018, 07:52:23 AM »
Thanks everyone.  Just one more question.  Did I read somewhere that it is best to cut jersey in a single layer?  Cutting out layouts usually fold fabric in half lengthways but when I have done that for jersey it has taken me ages to get it straight

UttaRetch

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2018, 08:01:35 AM »
Fine fabrics are best cut as a single layer as they tend to move about.  If the jersey is firm with not much stretch, then you may be able to cut as usual.