The Sewing Place

Vintage Wiring, Capacitors and Electrics.

Barnyard

Vintage Wiring, Capacitors and Electrics.
« on: January 14, 2018, 23:01:55 PM »
I have been away for a while (poorly) and have only just caught up with some of the posts on the Vintage thread. A good number of posts are about 221k and or electrics on other vintage machines. Firstly there is one rule of thumb. Never trust electricity, it will always find it's closest way to ground and this may well be by it travelling through you! The wiring you are trusting on a 221k etc may be 50, 60 or 70 years old. The mains cable and foot control cable was rubberised and will most likely be rotted by now. The insulation on the machine side will be brittle and if you combine the two together you may well end up with a machine that is just live and when you touch it.. well you will know about it!  |O

I have rewired, capacitor removed and restored more vintage machines than I can remember, into the hundreds now and now I am on the mend I shall be back doing more. I am not plugging myself, not at all. I just wish to make you aware of the potential risks. Where electricity, metal and people meet there will be only one that gets hurt.

Barny

Madame Cholet

Re: Vintage Wiring, Capacitors and Electrics.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 11:25:57 AM »
Barny, I do hope you are feeling better. It's great to have you back  0_0

Tamnymore

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 13:08:12 PM »
Glad you are better, Barny. That's very sound advice about respecting electricity.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Barnyard

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 17:20:42 PM »
Thank you for the well wishes. I'm on the mend now thankfully. I had a non malignent tumour that had attached itself to the vertabrae in my neck. Had it not been in such a sensitive area I would have been operated on a lot sooner. The problem was finding a surgeon who could give me better than 50/50 of not coming out of the operation being paralyzed  :S
Rather scary but now getting there.  :D

Barny X

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 17:57:57 PM »
Scary indeed!    :o
Hope you continue to make a good recovery.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 18:44:02 PM »
Very, very glad to see you back!   :|  Take care of yourself.     :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.