The Sewing Place

Fancy Forest Quilt

Lowena

Fancy Forest Quilt
« on: January 15, 2018, 18:46:12 PM »
I have never used such a complicated pattern using such small scraps of fabric....but.......I'm loving doing it <3
I have made 6 foxes and one bunny. The bunny took me 3 tries and a lot of unpicking but I finally have a block I'm pleased with.
It's way out of my comfort zone but I am really grateful and pleased that Imi thought of me and sent me the pattern for Christmas.
I don't suppose it matters how long it takes me, and I'm champing at te bit to try the other animals, except.......they're very scary  0_0
Triumph of hope over experience :D

supergran

Re: Fancy Forest Quilt
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 19:17:55 PM »
You forgot to attach the pics Lowena.  :ninja: xx

Manuela

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 12:38:21 PM »
Looking forward to seeing it, no matter how long it takes. I made a Hazel Hedgehog quilt (with the glasses applique) for my grand nephew last year, and threw in some Fancy Fox and Hazel cushion covers as well.
That was the first time ever that I actually pieced a quilt  :) I enjoyed the precision sewing and the result was very rewarding. Those critters are just the cutest.

Sheilago

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 09:04:21 AM »
Sounds lovely , Lowena. Look forward to the pictures. I am looking for ideas for grandchild number 2’s quilt, so will watch with interest. ( Baby not due until July so no rush yet!)

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 12:24:19 PM »
Really quite wasteful of fabric. Lots of joining squares to rectangles and then cutting on the diagonal. This means 3 of the 4 layers end up as offcuts / scraps.
I'm working with lots of pieces much smaller and fiddlier than I'm used to so it's slow going, but I'm halfway through a hedgehog and so far so good.
An interesting learning curve  -<

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 18:23:55 PM »
Am finally making reasonable headway with this project, however, I must be a glutton for punishment as I am already eyeing up others.
Elizabeth Hartman also does patterns for.........Awesome Ocean .. Delightful Desert and Greenhouse quilt...hmmm :ninja:

Sandra

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 19:54:21 PM »
I've just been looking at Elizabeth Hartman designs.

She does some really nice ones, doesn't she?

Have you see her 'Dogs in Sweaters'?  0_0 It's wonderful. 'Bunny' is cute too. It'd be lovely for a young child.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your progress.

Sandra.
xxx

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 10:07:00 AM »
 :devil: Bunny is bl**y difficult at first........ it's the ears!!  :D
No pics until it's complete ( if it's ever complete )  :D Seroiusly... I will get there as I never have UFOs unlike some people I won't  name  @Iminei    :devil:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 10:38:49 AM by Iminei »

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 10:39:45 AM »
Is the pattern pieced, paper pieced or a bit of both Low?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 10:48:41 AM »
Paper pieced???????!!!!?????? :o :o never Nope, it's all pieced.Lots of diagonal line joins which makes it a bit wasteful of fabric imo but I'm enjoying doing it  <3

Pearl

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 11:09:34 AM »
No pics until it's finished?  You tease, Lowena. 

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 11:16:35 AM »
I'm a bit photophobic @Pearl  - never have the camera / phone in right place; light and space never quite right  can't be bothered to upload just a couple of snaps ( gums up works with too many tiny files and don't have inclination to merge them ) then the photos never look right. I should get the "David Bailey" of the family to do it, but he's a perfectionist and would nag me about everything .... so.......if when it's complete I'll gird up my loins and give a glimpse  ;)
Actually, I have enough blocks done now so I may take a montage this afternoon.....gardening now  :)

Manuela

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 12:17:36 PM »
Making the first hedgehog almost did my head in - that was the first block I'd ever pieced  :S