The Sewing Place

You wanted a....

Iminei

Re: You Gals wanted a....
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2017, 13:54:57 PM »
Okay ladies, that is very strange...

....and cos I is a technodunce I can't screenshot my profile page...

However if you want some witty words in you avatar box...
just ask and I will be happy to wave my wicked wand over your profile!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2017, 16:35:58 PM »
Okay ladies, that is very strange...

....and cos I is a technodunce I can't screenshot my profile page...

However if you want some witty words in you avatar box...
just ask and I will be happy to wave my wicked wand over your profile!
Maybe you get different stuff cos you is an adminerist and is special??

Lowena

« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2017, 17:46:22 PM »
I just have the same as Fajita too
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2017, 22:10:25 PM »
Maybe you get different stuff cos you is an adminerist and is special??

Yes I think it is and also cos I is black!

hahhaahahahahha

Lyn-J

« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2017, 16:36:02 PM »
"Running around in Reading" - honestly how boring is that! I'll think of something better later!

Lyn-J

« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2017, 16:38:44 PM »
There seems to be an assumption that every is female, that has not been my experience with sewing and knitting forums. So pls be careful I wouldn't want anyone to feel excluded.

Francesca

« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2017, 17:18:31 PM »
There seems to be an assumption that every is female, that has not been my experience with sewing and knitting forums. So pls be careful I wouldn't want anyone to feel excluded.

This was indeed mentioned earlier and I believe Iminei apologised for it. I admit I am also not a fan of presuming gender. I am going to change the thread title, I'm sorry you may have been unhappy about this. Hopefully we can use this point as somewhere to step forward from on the forum, all being mindful to each other and celebrating our diversity  <3

Iminei

Re: You wanted a....
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2017, 17:42:40 PM »
Apologies from me too!

Wicked wand waved, Lyn

UttaRetch

« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2017, 20:16:14 PM »
NeilM seems to be the only active male and I think of him as a honorary woman.  :D

Vegegrow

« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2017, 20:27:25 PM »
NeilM seems to be the only active male and I think of him as a honorary woman.  :D
Oh Utta you've forgotten Rodger and there's Gazzlodi plus several others including DalbyAU and Arrow

Edit after Frans post....I did mean Roger ... my Rodger is spelt the English way!!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 09:40:27 AM by Vegegrow »
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Francesca

« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2017, 21:54:59 PM »
And Roger!

Lyn-J

« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2017, 09:31:28 AM »
I'm sorry you may have been unhappy about this.
Oh no, not unhappy at all. I knew it was unintentional. I just didn't want this new forum putting anyone off of joining. I belong to the Machine Knitters Group on Ravelry and I'm sure a third of the members are male. There are also many men who sew on the Stitcher's Guild forum and they produce excellent work.

UttaRetch

« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2017, 13:17:52 PM »
Oh Utta you've forgotten Rodger and there's Gazzlodi plus several others including DalbyAU and Arrow

0_0  0_0 So we have a few more honorary women.  Actually I try to be gender neutral and don't assume that we are all women just because this is a crafting site.  When I join 'tech' sites, I tend to choose a username that doesn't identify me as a woman but the overwhelmingly male membership will assume I am a man anyway.  The number of time I have been called he is countless.  0_0

Lowena

« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2017, 13:27:40 PM »
IMO people shouldn't get uptight about it, unless it's done with malice. I have a gender neutral first name and don't  get upset if people think I'm male,it's not done deliberately.On the other hand "never assume... it makes an ass out of u and me:D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Francesca

« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2017, 13:43:58 PM »
IMO people shouldn't get uptight about it, unless it's done with malice. I have a gender neutral first name and don't  get upset if people think I'm male,it's not done deliberately.On the other hand "never assume... it makes an ass out of u and me:D

I think it's more just being a bit mindful. I don't see people getting super angry and uptight about it, but it's a stupidly simple change to just not use a gendered word to make everyone feel included. I try to use gender neutral terms throughout my life. You never know when your little word could be powerful to someone who feels excluded already.

Perhaps I feel it more deeply because I have regularly been surrounded by men at work. I am the only female in my current team, one of only three in the wider team of 55, and this is actually the first time I've EVER worked with another female developer in the wider team in my whole career. Even if there are women in my team they're nearly always QA's or project managers.