The Sewing Place

Changing needles

rowe1311

Re: Changing needles
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 08:53:20 AM »
[quote author=Morgan link=topic=3242.msg46736#msg46736 date=1516230063

When you mention machine embroidery with sew all thread - do you mean decorative stitching with sew all thread or
[/quote]

I have been using the sew all and universal 12 for free motion embroidery in a normal machine. I have some 40 weight variegated thread that I will be using next, so will try out the top stitch needles on that. 

Thanks for all the tips
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 08:56:05 AM by rowe1311 »

jen

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 12:56:59 PM »
"The first machine I owned was a hand crank Singer - no idea now what model it was but it was blue and straight stitch only - and in those days the needle was only replaced if it broke!"

Brenda, I learnt on a hand crank Singer, as did my sister. Not counting the needle she broke in her finger I think the needle only got replaced once, after a great deal of fuss about how I must have abused the machine for mum to have to buy a new needle. It was an event. :D 

Morgan

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 13:07:01 PM »
I have been using the sew all and universal 12 for free motion embroidery in a normal machine.
Aah, forgot about FME, it makes sense to me now. 
With FME You control the distance between needle penetrations so you just use all sorts of threads and whatever needle type and size that works for the project, the fabric and and the effect you're after.

Vezelay

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2018, 12:41:11 PM »
I'd been doing the odd cushion cover, chair cover, curtain hem, zip etc for years, but when I began my garment sewing about 4 years ago I decided to get to know my machine "properly" and actually discovered you could remove the needle and put a new one in!!  0_0 :|

Efemera

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2018, 12:51:47 PM »
Usually when there’s a problem!...today I’ve changed it 3 times, coated rainwear fabric, seams are OK but it doesn’t like buttonholes so I’m using a metal thread needle with a larger eye.

Francesca

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2018, 13:04:12 PM »
Oh dear, this is a revelation to me.

I change my needle every time I accidentally start sewing with the wrong foot in and smash it into the foot and it snaps.

That's been happening with less frequency, so I probably haven't changed for a year  :\

I also only use whatever old needle I can find.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2018, 13:46:14 PM »
I do take my needle out at the end of each sewing project, to make sure I use the correct sort for the next thing.  They do get used and used and used, usually until they break  :|