The Sewing Place

Finished!!! Laydees and Pink and .....

Iminei

Finished!!! Laydees and Pink and .....
« on: January 19, 2018, 10:35:33 AM »
Well Ladies, My mojo has up and gone and Im dithering ...

My Laydees are assembled and I'm 3/4's through the quilting but it seems that is as far as its going to go!

Not only as the quilting is tiresome and tedious, but also now that I know the Blooming thing is a third too big for the cot quilt its meant to be!!!

AAaand I desperately want to embroider eyes and mouths but I can't as Im useless at hand-sewing!

And I still haven't made the label for Pink!!! (Smilie kicking itself)

Jazmin's birthday is on the 25th I can easily envisage sewing at midnight the night before ...
and after I had it all made and ready for the last 10 months or so, I could cry!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 13:27:52 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

supergran

Re: Dithering
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 14:16:02 PM »
OK you need to prioritise. Pink is Jazmin's quilt, right? Then do the label for that first, the ladies can wait.
Does it matter if the ladies is a bit bigger than you planned? Better too big than too small, at least they can tuck it in, or use it as a playmat. Is there nothing on your lovely new machine that would do for eyes? How realistic do you want them to be? You could draw a smiley mouth and just outline it in red, no need to struggle with hand work! Have a  :toast: and don't panic (Mr Mainwaring) xx :)

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 14:45:45 PM »
Hi SG,

Yes, some stitches on The Splurgess would do for eyes and mouth; They are based on zigzag stitches and that is the problem as the red colour (for the mouths) came out on the white backing (of my test piece) and the quilt has a white printed backing!

I know, I know a tension problem, but Woose that I am, I'm terrified of altering it.

On a similar vein, I tried  a ZZ stitch on the maximum width (9mm) and it kept missing picking up stitches  :( The problem vanished when I set the width to 8 or below ?!?

maliw

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 19:59:43 PM »
The ladies is looking good. Make it larger than a cot quilt, my DGC have quilts that are too big for a cot and sit on top of a single bed. The littlies don't use the quilts at night except in the summer when it was warm but they are great when they aren't well as they snuggle up for a lie down when they don't want to do anything. Cots are a limited use time so something larger will have more use. Oh yes, put the quilt to one side and do the label.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

fajita

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 20:45:49 PM »
My great nieces use theirs as 'magic carpets' now they are five.

Size is irrelevant, really.

Iminei

Re: Finished!!! Laydees and Pink and .....
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 13:35:56 PM »
The Laydees are finished, Done, dusted and bound!

In case of .... ahem ... technical difficulties, linky to the picasa album

Laydees

Next up, Pink was presented and well received by lil Jazmin on the 25th ...

Linky in case of Gremlins ....

Pink

and finally ...

MIL's birthday coming up and I made a cushion cover for her ...'Muted colours Imi, muted ...' !!!!! Like I've ever done a subtle thing quilt in my life!!!

linky to the album for more pics ...
Big Star Cushion

Feeling smug with myself ???
You bet I am!!!  :P

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 13:46:51 PM »
They are all lovely Imi...... how many more UFOs have you got left?  ;)
Did you do the buttonholes by hand or machine?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 13:53:11 PM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 14:29:19 PM »
I do like the muted cushion.  I'm the opposite, I find I go for muted unless I take myself in hand and make myself choose bright colours.
Life's too short for ironing.

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 14:40:13 PM »
Gorgeous!   :D
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Roger

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 14:51:32 PM »
Wow! They look fab... where do you get the patience from to piece all the fabrics together?!?
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 15:19:42 PM »
The piecing is the fun bit ...

the layering is usually horrendous because of the size of most of my makes and the fact that, even when fully extended, the dining room table is still oval so the quilt always tries to escape

The quilting can get extremely tiresome and I have to force myself to finish it but the binding is brilliant .... looove binding!

Sewingsue

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 16:05:52 PM »

The quilting can get extremely tiresome and I have to force myself to finish it but the binding is brilliant .... looove binding!
By hand or machine?
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 17:17:17 PM »
Binding ???

Well, especially with children's' quilts, I mostly machine sew them on and down with a blanket stitch ... Mirror imaged.

I think it looks nice and neat and becomes a bit of a feature!

Acorn

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 17:27:48 PM »
That variegated thread looks wonderful with those fabrics.   :loveit:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sakar

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 18:40:10 PM »
:) very nice and colourful!!! :)