The Sewing Place

My first attempt at making a bag

Madame Cholet

My first attempt at making a bag
« on: January 20, 2018, 16:07:32 PM »
I found a link to some free bag patterns on @Hachi 's blog, and decided to make myself one - the Gerbera Cross Body Bag by Blue Calla.

It's the first bag I have ever made, and just in case it all went horribly wrong and ended up in the bin, it is made from charity shop remnant linen blend (outer), an old pillowcase (lining), and some fleece scraps from my stash. The pansy is my first stab at free motion embroidery, from a few months ago.

I stuck to the bag pattern apart from piecing the front panel as my embroidery piece was smaller than the panel pattern piece. I skipped using interfacing for the outer linen blend pieces, because although I have some in the house somewhere I couldn't find it but wanted to make a start on the bag anyway; I won't do that again, as I think the absence of interfacing shows. Also I used ordinary fleece stitched to the lining in the seam allowances, as I didn't have any fusible fleece to hand and again as this was essentially a practice piece I was happier using what I already had.

The fleece I used was quite thick so the bag feels very soft and padded, and has already been put to use as a place to safely store my sat nav  8)

I enjoyed making the bag, and I'm really pleased that the mystery that is bag making is beginning to reveal itself to me.
I'm planning to make another, again a practice piece from scraps. The next one I intend to make is the Clematis wristlet bag, also a free pattern from Blue Calla. I'll post pics up in this thread when it's done, all being well. 
:)

(The free Blue Calla .pdf bag patterns link is https://bluecallapatterns.com/collections/free-patterns)

[Later edit to add pic].
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 21:51:25 PM by Madame Cholet »

Ellabella

Re: My first attempt at making a bag
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 16:24:58 PM »
That Pansy is free motion?  Respect!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 16:49:18 PM by Ellabella »

Sandra

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 16:27:15 PM »
Your first attempt!?

Madame Cholet...you're a natural. It looks very professional.

Sandra.
xxx

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 16:36:45 PM »
Wow!  I'm not sure whether to be most impressed by the bag or the free motion embroidery!!  Well done.   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sewingsue

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 16:59:46 PM »
Wow!  I'm not sure whether to be most impressed by the bag or the free motion embroidery!!  Well done.   0_0
Likewise
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 18:15:12 PM »
Nice job!  Free  motion embroidery?  Wow.  I have a friend who can do that.  Me?  I have an embroidery machine :P

Lilian

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 19:53:50 PM »
Wow! That is really nice and the FMQ is excellent!! Well done!  I am thinking of making a weekend bag  -<. A free pattern from a magazine.  Look forward to seeing your next one  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 20:50:29 PM »
Superb

Kenora

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 23:38:37 PM »
Wonderful work.  :flower:
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Stitches

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 06:48:28 AM »
Love your bag .Free  motion embroidery Wow Me I have a embroidery machine

Hachi

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 11:54:18 AM »
Embroidery looks awesome!

Lachica

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 13:55:47 PM »
Lovely, and that pansy is very accomplished. I've not tried FME, it looks difficult. I also downloaded those free patterns so it's good to see that they work out well. I may have a go at that one when I finishe the created curtain.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 11:00:28 AM »
What a beautiful first attempt MC!  I wish my FME looked as accomplished!

Just to add to your free patterns list, there's a free Weekender bag pattern here: https://craftbits.com/project/make-your-own-weekender-bag/

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 22:56:09 PM »
Thank you all for your kind words!  <3 :)
... and thank you Jessie for the free pattern link  :flower:  :)

I finally finished the Clematis Wristlet bag which I have made as a gift for a friend. The free motion embroidery I did a while ago - my second attempt.
I am ashamed to say I copied the motif from an embroidery design I found in a google image search  :|

I am glad it is finished - it took longer than I expected - I had the sewing jitters about stitching the leather so I spent a good while practicing on scraps, and it took two goes to get the zip right. I stuck to the pattern sewing instructions apart from having a slightly smaller seam allowance on the darts, and reinforcing the top of the inner pocket with extra stitching, like on a shirt pocket. *
The outer is the linen blend I used for the first bag, and a leather scrap I picked up in Fabworks not too long ago. The lining is a saree scrap from my stash, and the embroidery was done on a small piece of velvet. This time I used fusible interfacing on the linen and it looks and feels better for it. I stuck to using ordinary fleece though from my stash, rather than the fusible fleece mentioned in the pattern. I will use fusible fleece in the future I hope, but for now I am being a cheapskate, as the stuff I have seen for sale online is quite pricey.
Next time I make a bag I shall use a better zip, a metal toothed one, or at least one that matches the colour of the bag, lol  :S

Here it is:

*edit to add - and of course I added the embroidery, the 'window' was not part of the pattern.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 01:15:08 AM by Madame Cholet »

fajita

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 00:20:24 AM »
Excellent job.  Your friend is very lucky.  I'd be very happy if a friend made such a thing for me.