Where: SCAD FASH Museum of Fashion + Film, Savannah, Georgia
 When: 27th October 2017 to 4th March 2018

"Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination"
 Where: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
 When: 10th May to 8th October 2018

Dior from Paris to the World"
 Where: Denver Art Museum, Colorado
 When: 18th November 2018 to 3rd March 2019

https://fashionunited.uk/news/fashion/12-leading-fashion-exhibitions-to-visit-in-2018/2017121827321

"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Marniesews

Re: Exhibitions in Europe and the US 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 12:37:34 PM »
Ooh, I'm a terrible flyer & we're planning on a Scottish holiday this year but that Designer Lace sounds nice so perhaps a weekend in Calais?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Vegegrow

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 12:41:25 PM »
Yes I thought the Calais lace sounded nice  and not to far from Calais to Kent  for @BrendaP  if she's interested as a lace expert
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 16:30:06 PM »
Calais lace is a type of machine lace - during the 19th century when there was a lot of industrial unrest due to people fearing that the machines would rob them of their living from making hand-made bobbin, lace some of the machines from Nottingham were smuggled across the Channel an factories set up there in the attempt to avoid the Luddites who were smashing up machines in England.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Marniesews

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 20:12:22 PM »
Does Calais Lace have the characteristic flatness of Nottingham lace,  @BrendaP ? If so, I may think again. Time for an image search perhaps.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 22:03:23 PM »
I think that Calais lace is made on Leavers machines.

What do you mean by "the characteristic flatness of Nottingham lace" ?

There are several types of lace machines from Nottingham and nowadays from India and China.

Leavers lace - and its derivatives, lace curtain machine and Jaquard controlled machines
Those laces usually have a thicker thread outlining the motifs (equivalent to the gimp threads in bobbin lace) and this means that they are not very flat.

Raschel lace which is a form of warp knitting.  The columns of tiny chain stitches on the reverse indicate that a lace is of the Raschel type which is usually fairly flat.  Most "cheap" laces are of this type.

Barmen Machine - the nearest machine equivalent to torchon bobbin lace.  Usually fairly coarse as lace goes and only as edgings up to about 2" wide.

Weft Knitting machines - essentially the same as domestic knitting machines.

Schiffli, Cornely and Bonnaz machines - lockstitch machines used to embroider fine fabric or net; mass production similar to that which modern domestic embroidery machines do.  If several layers of stitching is worked on top of each other the resulting lace is quite textured.

Chemical lace - machine embroidery worked with cotton thread on a dissolvable fabric which is then dissolved away leaving only the embroidery thread.  Again multiple layers can make quite a textured lace.

I've shown a typical example of each type of machine lace, but there are thousands of variations and it takes a very practiced eye to recognise all the different types.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.