The Sewing Place

May I ask a question please?

Lowena

May I ask a question please?
« on: January 22, 2018, 10:09:50 AM »
I feel rather guilty and as if I am missing out, in not doing the BOMs  :| There are some I would not attempt, but plenty which appeal,....but...... and this leads me to my question.....
How do you access and use the excellent tutorials ?
I am NOT a visual learner.... pics and you tube vids mean absolutely nothing to me.
I follow written steps ( word for word ) like a recipe and do not deviate. All fine...except...... I have no internet or phone access where I sew, so cannot refer directly online.
Do you..... have the screen in front of you?
Remember the instructions?
Copy out the tutorials?
Read the gist and then do your own thing?
Am I being lazy in not copying ( I can't print as OH would have a fit at all the ink used....he's anal about it!  :D )
What do you do????  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

b15erk

Re: May I ask a question please?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 10:16:01 AM »
You can find a lot of written tutorials online Lowena, that you could just print off.  If there isn't a written tut, just watch the video, or study the pics, and make notes.

I think Imi's tuts are on Instagram(?) so quite easily accessible - I'm sure someone can explain.

Do try them, they are a great learning aid.

Jessie

Google photos B15erk aka my Picasa

Imi
xxx
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 10:23:12 AM by Iminei »
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 10:22:18 AM »
Hi Low

I know when I look at a tut on the Laptop that I will jot down notes as I go along.
I cant have the Laptop out and open when I sew either as there isnt enough space on the table (or anywhere really)
and usually when I bring a BOM to you I have a scrappy bit of paper lying around somewhere close by for me to refer back to .... it would have some rough drawings and measurements on ... and I do make the BOMs a couple of times before I photograph them.

Or are you talking about viewing the actual tut???

You know when you click on the link for the BOM

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gmN9DA4r92Wjx7uL2

you come to a screen full of pics of the process.

If you click on an individual pic it will go full screen and you can then scroll through the pics using the arrows that appear when you hover over either the right or left side.

I believe if you hover over the entire pic some text appears in white at the bottom of the pic

but I prefer to click the i Icon in the top right hand corner. This open a white portion to the side of the pic which contains destructions for that step of the process.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 10:55:19 AM »
I go through the tut and then just do my own thing if it is straightforward.  If it is more complicated I can look on my kindle.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 11:25:20 AM »
I know how to access the details of the tuts @Iminei , it's just remembering the precise steps ( I can't wing it ) when I'm in the workshop annexe.
@Ploshkin , I have no internet or phone access there and cannot "do my own thing" as I need precise directions.
@b15erk  I can't print things off as I explained, looks like I'll have to take copious notes, something I was trying to avoid doing.
Ho hum I'll admire all your blocks in the meantime and go back to following my current commercially printed pattern word for word  :D
Thank you all, just wondered if there was a way round things  -<

Sandra

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 11:33:24 AM »
I always read through the tutorial a couple of times to make sure I'm happy I understand what needs to be done.

Once I'm happy to make a start...and I've finally decided which fabrics I'm going to use (this bit can take ages  -<)...I keep the tutorial open on my laptop and keep wandering between my machine, which is in our extension, and my lappy on the dining room table.

Sometimes I'll scribble a few of the measurements down on a scrap of paper to reduce the need to wander around so much.

Sandra.
xxx

StitchinTime

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 12:07:36 PM »
@Lowena If you have Powerpoint or Word, your "copious notes" could be done electronically.

If you set your browser so Google Photos shows the picture and the info (instructions) to the side of the picture, all you need to do is take a screenshot of the whole thing and then paste it into Powerpoint or Word. If you use one slide/page per photo, it would nearly be like having an "off line" version of the tutorial.

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 12:11:51 PM »
That's a useful trick SiT.  Must try it, my hands are useless at writing lately.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 12:17:11 PM »
If you copy and paste the text from the January BOM tut it will fit on one page in Word.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 12:20:58 PM »
But we only have a p.c which we share. It is in the house....workshop is in the garden, I know I must seem thick but how would that work? @StitchinTime  and @Acorn

StitchinTime

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 12:24:46 PM »
@Lowena Sorry, I thought you had access to a laptop/PC in your sewing space but no internet access.

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 12:30:25 PM »
I was thinking that you could either copy it out by hand, view it on a phone or tablet, or sneak out one printed page.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 12:39:22 PM »
 :D :D Acorn, That's ok SIT,  no, we only have one fixed pc. Thanks for the advice though  <3

maliw

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 14:40:42 PM »
I sit and read the tutorial and write down each step and draw pics where appropriate. It's amazing how the backs of envelopes can be so useful. I have several 'filed away' in case I need a reminder.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Efemera

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 17:05:20 PM »
I just look at the pictures...only read the instructions if I’m desperate ( this might apply to the delivery man I’ve just ranted about!)