The Sewing Place

Please help a ditherer...

Acorn

Please help a ditherer...
« on: January 22, 2018, 14:30:51 PM »
I have a pack of 42 10" squares in the design shown below, together with the set of fat quarters also shown (26 fqs that are 18" x 22").

I'm trying to find a quilt pattern to suit them, and having so much trouble.  I want to make blocks, because I think I will probably quilt them as I go.  I don't want to do too many hsts (because I may end up biting someone if I do) although I don't want to stick to squares, so some are inevitable.

I keep coming back to this pattern

(although I think the colours need to be better balanced).  But I'm really not sure.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions, thoughts, ideas etc... because otherwise I'm never going to get started.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ellabella

Re: Please help a ditherer...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 16:18:14 PM »
Fab fabrics Acorn, I love your colours.

If that pattern is calling you go for it but there are quite a lot of HSTs.

Better to make something you like the look of rather than doing a pattern just because its within your comfort zone.

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 17:13:41 PM »
I like the fact that each block is just two different fabrics, which I think would work well with my fabrics.  Those HSTs do bother me though. 

I start thinking that I could make the corners of the blocks (which bother me in some undefined way anyway) into squares rather than 2 HSTs, and then I think I'd be making it far too boring.

fajita

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 18:54:32 PM »
Looks like a nice project.
Can it run alongside something else, so that you get a break between blocks to ease the triangulariness.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 19:53:38 PM »
Loving your fabrics Acorn, they need to be used... Do I spy Oakshott at all ???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 20:26:44 PM »
[Cross-posted with Brenda - thank you, I'm just off to have a good look.   :)  ]

They are lovely, aren't they!  They're Boundless Batiks and Marcus Fabrics, both from Craftsy in a sale last year.

I think I might have sussed what's bothering me about those triangles - they need to be the other way round!  That would make something pretty much like this.  I can decide about the frames/sashing when I've got some blocks to play with.

The triangle count is pretty much the same, but I prefer the way they sit in this one.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 22:05:51 PM »
Which ever way round you put them you need the same number of pieces - one square, 4 flying geese and 4 squares made of HSTs.

What are you bothered about? Doing the HSTs or just the number required?

If you're using 2 colours per block you can do the 'sew-then-cut' methods for the FGs and HSTs if you're concerned about sewing bias edges. Don't dither, do it. We're all here to help/encourage you if you need us. (We still haven't got a finger wagging icon - probably just as well... :))

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 01:38:15 AM »
It is the bias edges that bother me. 

Stupidly, it hadn't occurred to me that the  'sew-then-cut' method would mean no matching of bias edges. 

I seem to remember that one of last year's BOMs involved flying geese - I shall have to dig it out.

Thank you!

Kad

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 08:03:39 AM »
I've made a couple of quilts for a non-sewing friend, ( I've tried, really tried, but she can barely sew a running stitch - does an amazing job with a bunch of supermarket flowers though) she also has an aversion to triangles.???

I used a pattern called ' garden 4 patch' or something similar which uses only squares in 3 or 4 sizes. It's also easy to adjust the final size by changing the size of the squares or adding blocks.

I'll have a look later today, when at home and post  a diagram, but in the meantime there's a couple of photo on my home page - "lavender garden" and "country garden 4 patch".
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:09:23 AM by Kad »
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 09:23:28 AM »
Oooh - lots of lovely quilts to look at there!   0_0

The two you mention - Lavender Garden and Country Garden 4 Patch do a great job of making square designs look interesting in their own right rather than because of the colour/pattern combination and placement.

I think I have to use some triangles this time though - I've made so many quilts from squares that I think it's now or never!  I do have another quilt planned (ie I have the fabric), which I think would look very good in the Country Garden 4 Patch pattern.  Unless I become addicted to triangles, of course...  8)

(I did do a starburst quilt once though - one big starburst made from elongated diamonds and strip pieced.  It wasn't bad, but I used different weights of fabrics, which wasn't good.  I was young and poor and used what I had!)
  • Kad likes this

Deafoldbat

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 19:34:04 PM »
It is the bias edges that bother me. 

Don't let them. They shouldn't be a problem unless you grab them and pull them hard out of shape. Handle them gently, and don't put an iron near them until they're sewn. On the subject of pressing seams - press them (iron on, then lift off) and resist the temptation to scrub the iron up and down - that will stretch things (how do I know...).

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 20:11:09 PM »
Thank you - that's really helpful.

I realised that the January BOM had more bias edges than an HST based block.  While the BOM was manageable (and well worth the effort) it did wriggle a lot and I wouldn't want to do too many blocks like that!

I (am pretty certain that) I have settled on this star block

although not necessarily with 4 HSts in the middle, and/or HSTs instead of flying geese.  Next job is to work out what size block will make the best use of my 10" squares (2 of each design).

I AM making progress, if slowly!

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 08:37:05 AM »
Please wait til February before you decide Acorn,
there's a humdinger of a Star block coming your way and soooooo easy its untrue!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 09:33:30 AM »
That's one of my favourite blocks Acorn, and, even as a complete numpty I've never had trouble with bias edges since I learned to do what DOB said with the iron  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D