The Sewing Place

Problems with zig zag stitch on Bernina 1008

rowe1311

Problems with zig zag stitch on Bernina 1008
« on: January 22, 2018, 21:18:57 PM »
My machine needle has stopped swinging to the left, so it can't do a full width zig zag, it only manages half the width.  Any ideas what to do?  I am guessing it is probably in need of a service and this might prompt me to get it done, but I wondered if anyone has managed to fix this themselves? 

I have oiled and cleaned the feed dogs and bobbin area, but that hasn't done anything.  My manual doesn't offer any other maintenance tips, and I don't want to open anything up if I am not supposed to.   

Angela

arrow

Re: Problems with zig zag stitch on Bernina 1008
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 02:34:05 AM »
I don't think the service manual is available for the 1008. The regular maintanance is as far as I know restricted to cleaning and oiling the bobbin / feed dog area. To get to the relevant parts you need to get the casing off, and access the area under top and face plate side. It might be something making the swing arm stick, or possibly the cam area. I don't know if the 1008 has a purely mechanical cam stack, or if it has some kind of step-motor combination. There will be a few screws involved, find the  joints in the casing and it might be obvious which parts is meant to come off. From this site it looks like the back side comes off? If it's under waranty or you just don't want to spend any money on it you can go for a DIY fix, but the general advice for these is to track down a the best repair shop for Berninas and hand it in. If it's used a lot, a three year old machine is due for a service. I know most people never keep to the recommended once a year service and it generally turns out fine. Lightly used machines tend to go for years and years before anything happens, but it's always a question of how long it can be put off or ignored. How old is your machine?

I  just talk too much,  a simple thing would be to lightly poke the needle bar as you zigzag very slowly and se what happens.

rowe1311

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 10:41:00 AM »

I  just talk too much,  a simple thing would be to lightly poke the needle bar as you zigzag very slowly and se what happens.

I hadn't thought of that will try it and see if that works.  It was serviced nearly two years ago, and it is used fairly regularly, so I do need to get it done, but I got it second hand so don't actually know its age as they had bought it second hand too.  It seems to go well, so I am hoping a service will do the trick. 

rowe1311

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 11:45:47 AM »

The lightly poking it works but I have to do it by hand, so making a satin stitch would take a very long time.  I don't think I am prepared to take the casing off in case I make things worse, so will just wait till I get it serviced. 

arrow

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 14:17:43 PM »
I was thinking it might start zagging again with a bit of manual help, but I guess the  problem is not the swing arm itself. I hope you have another zig zagger on hand until the 1008 is sorted out.

rowe1311

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 19:43:45 PM »
I was thinking it might start zagging again with a bit of manual help, but I guess the  problem is not the swing arm itself. I hope you have another zig zagger on hand until the 1008 is sorted out.

Yes I have just fixed the Frister Rossman with some oil and now it works fine.  The beauty of having so many machines. 

daisy

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 15:46:03 PM »
I'm afraid I can't help with the problem, Angela, but I feel it's worth mentioning that I have a 1015 SE which is quite similar to your 1008 and I've attempted to open it up a few times to do a bit of grot hunting (term trademarked by Roger and Madame Cholet ;)). On each occasion I've been knocked back by the way it's intentionally difficult to get into. You get the side and back covers off quite easily but underneath that there's a metal panel that needs removing before you can get at anything of note.

I'm definitely not saying that it's impossible but it's not a machine that makes DIY repairs easy. Certainly not as easy as with older vintage machines. Perhaps because it's metal and mechanical I had hoped that it would be different.

Thankfully I've had no problems yet with mine, but when I do, I'll have to think about finding a professional to take it to. That's not something I'd really consider with any of my vintage machines.

rowe1311

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 09:00:58 AM »
I'm definitely not saying that it's impossible but it's not a machine that makes DIY repairs easy. Certainly not as easy as with older vintage machines. Perhaps because it's metal and mechanical I had hoped that it would be different.

Thanks for the tip. I won't even attempt to open it up, and just wait to get it serviced. 

Angela

So Chic

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 15:08:56 PM »
Sorry I can't help and the only Bernina dealer I know of in Scotland is David Drummond but I think he is based in Edinburgh.  It's a pain finding a good Bernina service engineer and I live in Kent and take mine to Northampton although I have been recommended an engineer in the Watford area. 
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

arrow

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 17:15:11 PM »
Half the point of a mechanical sewing machine is to be able to more easily access the basic functions, clean and add a bit of oil where it's needed. I wonder why all the brands make this enclosed casing with out lids and tops that come off? Some models are claimed to be mechanical, but I doubt most of them are; some of them have selection boards and how many actually have a camstack? I think the 1008 does, but I still wonder why them made such a cumbersome casing for both user and service guy to open?

HarryR

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 12:49:34 PM »
The 1008 is a full mechanical machine with a camstack. Therefore in this instance it needs nothing more than oiling in the right places. The casing you are referring to once you take off the covers is a rigidity plate that has important notches cut out for performing adjustments to the machine (such as timing). Any Bernina machine that requires physical stitch selection will be a true mechanical machine.

Marniesews

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 21:47:00 PM »
Just a passing thought & apologies if I missed this having been asked already, have you checked the needle position is in the center?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

rowe1311

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 15:54:53 PM »
I ended up getting the machine serviced, and everything is fine again.  It has been a couple of years since I last done it, so it was probably needing a service.  The only machine I need to work one is my 15k treadle which still seems to struggle with tension, all the others are working great. 

Marniesews

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 16:05:35 PM »
I've done it again! After commenting on a post from the unread posts lists, I've just looked at the next post down not realising it was on that particular board, not the unread list, and more than 6 weeks old! That's a hell of a long time after to suggest checking the needle position.  ;)  :S
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.