The Sewing Place

Best place for cheap patterned jersey?

sewingj

Best place for cheap patterned jersey?
« on: January 23, 2018, 19:15:55 PM »
Daughter has asked me to make her a couple of tops and I want to do a dummy run in something cheap -( but that  she would wear )- to make sure she likes the style and so I can get a good fit
I`ve found some fabric at Fabworks but I don`t think daughter is going to be very keen. 
Any ideas where else I should look?

Mama likes to make

Re: Best place for cheap patterned jersey?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 19:23:54 PM »
What sort of price range would you consider cheap?
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

sewingj

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 19:28:16 PM »
What sort of price range would you consider cheap?

About a fiver - bit more if it was really nice

Mama likes to make

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 19:34:19 PM »
I like the Stoff and Still Jersey and they always have some cool patterns but they're a bit dearer. I will follow with interest as I would love to see more patterned stuff.

The only other place I can think of that I've picked up cheap patterned jersey is Goldhawk road so not sure if you have a market or something like that maybe near you.
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

Tamnymore

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 19:38:15 PM »
Regency Rags on ebay has lots of well priced jersey fabric. They aren't usually very precise about fibre content though. Also try the textile centre online and on ebay. They are good with fibre content. Minerva crafts is another I've used.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 19:42:51 PM »
Minerva have some starting from £2.99 - it gets a lot more expensive if you want cotton (which I always do), but there is a lot of viscose/poly/elastane.

[Cross posted with Tamnymore!]
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

sewingj

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 19:46:41 PM »
Regency Rags on ebay has lots of well priced jersey fabric. They aren't usually very precise about fibre content though. Also try the textile centre online and on ebay. They are good with fibre content. Minerva crafts is another I've used.

thanks - I`m just trawling through the Textile Centre and that is looking hopeful

DementedFairy

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 19:50:52 PM »
Outside stalls at the Rag MArket on a Tuesday - 'the jersey lady' has a jumble sale of remnants and oddments and they are DIRT cheap.  I've often snagged enough for a couple of tops or a dress for about £2.  Be prepared to use your elbows, but it's a great way to get bits and bobs for practice or toiles.  I have had plenty of REALLY nice stuff too, bits of Rver Island T shirt fabric for instance, it's not all crap!  I'll be going at half term [end of Feb] if anyone fancies meeting up
C'est moi!

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 22:13:04 PM »
The Textile Centre

Don't forget to put ttcentre10 into the discount box at checkout.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:03:19 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Morgan

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 01:26:52 AM »
https://www.fabworks.co.uk/pages/jersey

I've bought several lengths of jersey from Fabworks (they have good sales)

sewingj

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 08:19:17 AM »
Thanks All
I`m going to continue looking at the Textile Centre and Minerva today - just wish our broadband wasn`t so slow as the images take ages to appear!

Marniesews

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 22:39:37 PM »
Yep, The Textile Centre is the first place I'd look too.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

maliw

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 15:12:23 PM »
I've used the Textile Centre on several occasions with lovely fabrics. I did see something I liked at Fabworks but the postage put me off :(
At leisure on the leisure penninsula