The Sewing Place

I'm stuck!

Snowgoose

I'm stuck!
« on: January 24, 2018, 12:54:44 PM »
Please can someone tell me how to wind the bobbin on this Frister and Rossman? 

The bobbin fits very nicely into the winder, but there doesn't seem to be any thread guide to move the thread as it winds?

The other problem is that I can't disengage the bobbin winder  :'(

I'm stuck!  Please help  :'(

LeilaMay

Re: I'm stuck!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 13:01:23 PM »
The thread guide in on the base - I can see it in the second photograph. Little sticky-up 'pillar' with a tensioned disk - the thread runs through that and then up to the bobbin.

When the bobbin is full it should activate the lever I see above the bobbin winding spindle, silver, curved, with a rounded end, this is attached to a sort of sprung, clicking mechanism it should also move by hand if you press it? Pinging it 'out' should disengage the mechanism from running against the wheel.

did any of that make sense?

:vintage:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 13:07:21 PM by LeilaMay »

arrow

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 13:28:16 PM »
I'm not too familiar with long bobbins, but I know the metal bar under the bobbin (when placed in the winder) often needs to be very even and polished to work. If if's meant for the thread to run from side to side on it, dirt or bumps in the metal will mess it up. Do you have a model number? There might be a manual on the web. Helen Howes have a white F&R looking exactly like yours, and might have the manual. She makes copies.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 13:31:03 PM by arrow »

Snowgoose

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 14:21:41 PM »
Thank you both so much, you are stars  :flower: :flower: :flower:

The bobbin wound perfectly!  The only problem I can't fathom is that the little rounded top lever doesn't move - it has a little give to it but that's all.  The bobbin kept winding when it was past full. 

Otherwise, it all works and sews a gorgeous stitch  :) just the bobbin won't disengage, I've tried gentle wiggling, drop of oil but it won't do more than just move fractionally - it's very clean, no threads or fluff caught and I can't see any sign of a broken spring anywhere.  I'm at a bit of a loss as to why?  -<

arrow

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 18:53:10 PM »
After I replaced bobbin tyre on my 201 I haven't managed to get it right again. It works fine, I just have to hold it down the last few rounds. I simple haven't bothered to sit down and fine tune the settings for it. There's one or two screws involved and a lot of test winding.

Does it click in place and disengage at all? Sometimes the mechanism needs oil, in the worst of case complete disassembly, cleaning and polish, but usually not. If it's very minimal, the stop and disengagement part might be manual.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 18:55:40 PM by arrow »