The Sewing Place

Bobbin capacity - how much thread does it hold?

Lachica

Bobbin capacity - how much thread does it hold?
« on: January 26, 2018, 16:53:41 PM »
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, I can't find it. I've just made 4 spools for my coverstitch machine, by glueing a sewing machine bobbin to an empty thread reel. (Bobbins don't fit on the spindles). I can wind them on my machine and then have the same colour on each spindle on the coverstitch machine, but I'm wondering how much thread they hold and therefore how much stitching I can do. (I know I could take a new reel of thread and wind bobbins with it until it runs out, but CBA).
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Morgan

Re: Bobbin capacity - how much thread does it hold?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 17:56:01 PM »
The how long is a piece of string answer - but then you probably knew that, didn't you.

The length of thread on the bobbin will depend on how thick or fine the thread is and how tightly or not your machine winds it.

The bobbins that you use for the needles will be used up at more or less the same rate.  If you use a similarly filled bobbin for the chain looper thread, it will be used up much faster.
How much faster will depend on whether you're stitching a wide or narrow coverstitch and also what stitch length you use.  A shorter stitch length will use up more of the looper thread than would be used over the same distance with a longer stitch length. 

A useful tip is to use the cone or large reel of thread on the looper and the bobbins on the needle thread.

Alternatively, if you're not too worried about seeing the looper thread on the inside, use a cone of a  base neutral thread for the looper and the coloured threads on the needles.  An overlocker thread, or one of the fine polyester monofilament type threads will do for the chain looper for coverstitch.  It doesn't need to be a heavier sew-all thread unless you particularly want to use it.
 3 shades of base neutral are often sufficient, eg. off white/cream, light grey and darker grey tend to work with most colours.   

If you want to use the serpentine side of the coverstitch on the public side for a decorative purpose, then using sew-all, decorative threads or thicker/heavier threads are used in the looper.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 17:57:57 PM by Morgan »

Lachica

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 19:01:07 PM »
Thanks Morgan. I had sort of guessed that, and had glued 4 of my Pfaff bobbins on before realising that the looper could use a different shade...duh! I already have red, burgundy, grey, beige, black & white in sets of 4 for the overlocker but don't want to keep taking them off to put on the coverstitch, and don't want to buy 4 more of each colour either.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 11:17:23 AM »
Never thought to glue bobbins to an empty reel.  Good idea.  I use bobbins sat on top of reels.  And of course, how much they hold depends on the bobbin used.  My Husqvarna takes more than my shallow Pfaff.  And it also depends on how well the bobbin winder is set up.  This can be altered if it's not winding enough for you! :)