The Sewing Place

Poll

Which entries do you like the most? You have two votes.

Acorn (Bootstrap 45179)
16 (14.8%)
Morgan (basic T-shirt block)
28 (25.9%)
BrendaP (McCall's 7084)
35 (32.4%)
Efemera (Tessuti's Ava dress)
29 (26.9%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Voting closed: April 16, 2018, 09:47:35 AM

Vote for the 1 pattern 3 ways competition

Manuela

Vote for the 1 pattern 3 ways competition
« on: April 06, 2018, 09:47:35 AM »
Tadaaaaa, the pictures are up, and so is the poll - all we need now is you to vote. The poll is open for 10 days, everybody has 2 votes. Here are the entries in the order they were received.

First to submit was @Acorn
Bootstrap 45179 is the pattern I used: 

My first garment is almost as the pattern shows it, in a cotton lawn from my stash that probably came from Doughties.  I lengthened it, because nobody wants to see my knees, and I omitted the zip because I find I rarely need them.  In terms of fitting I narrowed the shoulders, took in the sides and shaped the back seam, which made it less sack-like.  I added trim to the edge of the yoke because the feature was lost in the pattern, and balanced it with trim on the pockets. 
This was the result:

The second version was tunic length, made in another fabric from my stash, a very cheap denim from Fabric Guild which, from the feel of it, has quite a high proportion of manmade fibre, and is quite soft.  In terms of fitting I narrowed the shoulders and shaped the sides a little, but kept the back seam straight because the fabric has good drape.

I embroidered around the neckline, so I didn't include the yoke, but shaped the neck to match the line of the embroidery, and faced it.  I originally intended to add a peplum and gathered ruffles to the sleeves, but pinning the gathered peplum showed that the fabric really wasn't suitable so I kept it simple, not wanting to look like a wide triangle.  Fortunately I had cut the front and back long enough to keep it tunic length, with the hem slightly lower at the back, even without the peplum.

The third and final garment was another top, this time in a cotton voile from Minerva - also from my stash (3 out of 3 - go me!)  I didn't do the yoke because I felt the fabric was too fine, so I faced it again, with a slightly lower, round neck.  I narrowed the shoulders again and took the sides in a lot more above and at the waist, and flared it out a lot below the waist.  I also curved the hemline, and I added an ungathered flounce with a short slit to each sleeve.

I am pleased with all three, but I absolutely love the third one.

The second submission came from @Morgan
I started with my basic Tshirt block and lengthened it to make it into a tunic pattern.  The Tunic Pattern is the one I used for my 3 versions of the same pattern.

Version 1 is  a basic tunic with a straight hemline to which I added a hem split, collar and neckline details and used decorative stitches to give some interest to the covered buttons.
The fabric is a stable, soft double knit jersey fabric in a mushroom/taupe colour and a piece of red jersey was used for a contrast fabric to give a piped edge effect on the plackets and one collar edge.

Version 2 is a colour block version made by adapting the tunic pattern.  Some ease was added at the hips and hemline which was shaped to curve into the side seams.  I lowered the back hemline 5cm and drew the position of the lines to form the colour block pattern.  all grain lines were marked and then the pattern was cut apart, pieces copied and seam allowances added.  I drafted a shawl collar for this one and tried an experiment with a stepped collar on one side.  The fabric is a soft lightweight jersey with some lycra content.
This version is an experiment / prototype so I made it in strong contrasting colours in order to show up any potential proportion issues.  I like the curved lines and will make it up in a tone on tone version rather than contrasting colours.  I'll do something different with the sleeve insert and will put a deep band on the neckline rather than the collar.

Version 3 is a long cardigan version made by adapting the tunic pattern.  The round neck was made into a curved V, then I split the front up the Centre front line and made the front hem corners into curves.  The front band is a piece cut on the crosswise grain and folded double.  It's attached with a 4 thread overlock and then the seam allowance was secured with a single line of top stitching.  The original plan was to attach some patch pockets inspired by these, but when I auditioned them on the cardigan they looked clumsy so that was a no.  Very happy with this cardigan.

The third submission came from @BrendaP
I have decided to use McCalls 7084, a button-through shirtwaister dress with a straight or a full skirt, optional collar and several sleeve options. From the same pattern I made a shirtwaister dress, a princess line dress and a shirt.

Version 1
I chose a striped shirting 100% cotton fabric from Sherwood Fabrics. Described as pink and mint green I would call it red and silver grey. It has a lovely crisp feel with a sateen weave on the right side. Just right for making version D of the pattern. My alterations to the pattern for this version are minimal. For fitting I made a very slight increase in the front princess seams for a small amount of full bust adjustment and I chose the sleeves from version B because the fabric has a definite right and wrong side I didn't want the wrong side of the fabric showing on rolled up sleeves. I also thought it would look better with the collar cut on the grain lengthways instead of the suggested cross direction.

Version 2
For this I chose a 100% craft weight cotton fabric from Croft Mill and some plain red cotton for the piping.I made lots of alterations to the pattern for this version.
First I eliminated the waist seams by pinning bodice sections to the appropriate skirt sections (the godets weren't used) but I added as much flare as I could to the skirt pieces. I often increase the flare of princess line dresses; IMO straight skirts just emphasise a big tummy. Then I eliminated the front button opening and re-drew the neckline, and then cut the front on the fold of the fabric. Despite measuring just where the CF would be the whole thing was about 3cm too wide! I didn't have enough fabric left to re cut the front panel and I didn't really want a CF seam so it has an inverted box pleat at the front and the break in the printed design is disguised with some buttons. Having eliminated the front button band it was necessary to insert a zip at the back.
The sleeves are a shortened version B with turn-up cuff ommitted rather than the cap sleeve of version C. The buttons are hand made Yorkshire thread buttons.

Version 3
The main fabric for this is a grey pinstripe 100% cotton shirting fabric from Cloth Spot. The contrast is a blue and purple splodgy batik type cotton from the P&Q stash.The pattern adaptation was to use the top 30cm of the skirt panels joined to the matching bodice pieces. The curves at the waist were reduced so as to allow the shirt to hang looser. I also curved the bottom hem at the sides and then added small inserts of the contrast fabric, copying the way it was done on a couple of Terry's RTW shirts. The sleeves are version D of the original pattern which is OK with this fabric as it looks the same on each side. They were constructed shirt style; shoulder seam, armscye seam and then sleeves and sides in one pass.

Overall I am pleased with having made three very different garments from one pattern, although with a couple of drwaers full of patterns it wasn't really necessary; I have several princess line dress patterns which would have been easier than pinning bodice to skirt, but a useful learning curve.

PS. Please forgive the facial expressions, this head cold is showing.

And last but not least, @Efemera's entry
I used the Ava dress from Tesutti. I had to do a FBA

Number 1...is a denim blue fine wool/silk fabric from Fine Fabrics in Burnley, I added a small pocket but otherwise made it up as designed.

Number 2 is a crinkle poly  check from Fabworks. I omitted the sleeves, added a cowl neck, shortened the bodice and added fullness to upper and lower skirt panels and added a big pocket.

Number 3 is a jersey overprinted with textured splashes of colour from Minerva Crafts. I shortened the bodice, reshaped the neckline and added fullness to the upper and lower skirt panels. I added three quarter sleeves.