The Sewing Place

Poll

Vote to choose the winner of the 'Florals Rule' competition - everyone has 3 votes

Bodgeitandscarper's first entry
2 (1.5%)
BrendaP's first entry
5 (3.6%)
Efemera's first entry
10 (7.3%)
BrendaP's second entry
5 (3.6%)
Efemera's second entry
11 (8%)
Bodgeitandscarper's second entry
16 (11.7%)
Francesca & Jane
16 (11.7%)
Beepbeepsew
6 (4.4%)
Sewruthiesew
3 (2.2%)
Tamnymore
2 (1.5%)
DementedFairy
14 (10.2%)
Helen M
18 (13.1%)
Greybird
26 (19%)
Kwaaked
2 (1.5%)
Fajita
1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: June 26, 2018, 01:45:51 AM

Florals Rule - the voting thread

Manuela

Florals Rule - the voting thread
« on: May 13, 2018, 13:56:11 PM »
The voting starts now and the poll will be open for 10 days. Everyone has 3 votes (and you can change your mind). There are a total of 15 entries, so make sure to scroll down the whole post.
Well done everybody  :loveit:

:toast: Let the voting commence   :toast:
Entry No 1 Bodgeitandscarper's first entry

My first bodge offering for this competition - this is possibly an entry so no-on else has to come last  0_0

This is not from a pattern I just copied a rtw top, altering the armholes as they were very, very wide and needed something underneath, so now this can be worn on it's own.

As I only had a short piece of this fabric, around a metre, there had to be a "compromise" - no-one will notice the back fabric is the other way up to the front, not by the time they've walked all that way round me to get there.

I also never gave pattern matching a thought as I was thinking the pattern was too small to notice - wrong!  I could have cheated and not included a pic of the back - but thought I'd give you all a laugh.

The neck and armholes are faced with bias binding, which has gone on reasonably well.  It also had to have pockets, I thought about fancy ones, but decided plain was much better with this fabric.

Despite the bodges, I really like this top, it will get worn lots - when the sun comes out again.

Haha, I've just noticed the dust on the top of the fire...  0_0  :P
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Entry No 2  BrendaP's first entry

My black, yellow and grey scuba is destined to be a hoodie jacket.  New Look 6142

The jacket is finished. :flower:

The sizing turned out to be quite generous, which is maybe why I think it should be a rain mac rather than just a jacket;  I'm still pondering whether to use spray-on or wash-in water repellant.

It all went together quite well but I used four machines to do it.  Main seams with the overlocker, pocket outlines and hems with the coverstitcher, lightening bolt zig-zag on the Husqvarna for the hood CB seam (then coverstitched) and a 201 for the hood cord 'buttonholes', zip and neckline tape.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Entry No 3 Efemera's first entry

Finished the first of my florals..I added 6 inches  to the hi low hem. The fabric is a viscose-rayon print with a mind of its own..not a straight grain in sight! It’s the Claiborne top from DIBY.
The ditsy print Claiborne top..tiny rolled machined hem on the sleeves, much better than a regular hem.

Entry No 4 BrendaP's second entry

Butterick 6217 - bought from Sewmuchmore a few weeks ago and some red and white floral fabric bought from Doughty's when the roadshow came to Gravesend last month.

I made view C with the sleeves from view B, though as they were those sleeves just looked baggy so instead of blind hemming them  (the same as the lower hem) I did a regular straight stitch to make a casing of the hem and threaded narrow elastic; just tight enough to make it look like a proper puff sleeve.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Entry No 5 Efemera's second entry

Hey June Santa Fe top with modified sleeve, it’s suppose to be a dolman sleeve but that’s just not flattering on me so I scooped out the armscye and shortened the shoulder length. The fabric is Art Gallery, it’s 95 cotton and 5 Lycra, it’s quite thick and spongy. Single fold bindings done on the coverstitch

Entry No 6 Bodgeitandscarper's second entry

Entry number 2 finished  0_0
It's made from Butterick 6138, but without the collar and not using the front/neck facing, the front edge is turned back and top stitched, and the neck and armholes are faced with bias binding.  The fabric is muslin/double gauze from myfabrics.co.uk.
I've made this before and shortened at across at the armholes and just below, but this time took it up yet another inch at the armholes, which made them a bit higher and a better fit.  I also altered the back lower hem piece to make it a bit longer so it didn't go up too high at one point. 
The seams are all top stitched, which, with this wrinkley fabric, stretched them a bit, but a good steam sorted that out.
Taking the pics outside shows the colours much much better.  It was a bit too breezy for the first pic, but then found a sheltered corner of the garden - and no, I hadn't combed my hair  :|

Looking back at these pics, next time I will alter the shaping at the side seams, as, having shortened it, it's flaring out from too high up really.

Entry No 7 Francesca & Jane

:flower: Ok - so here goes. This is Fran and Jane's entry. 

The pattern was McCalls M7390 from a recent Love Sewing Magazine. I decided to make B but with sleeves from C.

:pattern:  8) Needed some pattern re-grading to give me more on the hips and the arms (as you do), so Fran did her grading tricks using the big french curve thingy I got her for Christmas moons ago. 

:fabric: The fabric came from C&H Fabrics in Tunbridge Wells and it's a cotton with some sort of stretch so it must have elastane in it. (Really helped with the ease for the sleeves!) 

:cake:  :snip: We started this with the Royal Wedding in the background, so we had lots of tooing and froing to ooh and ahh at the dresses in between grading and cutting out and pinning, etc. 

:S Fran whizzed all the main sections up with her overlocker and I did the neckline and set in the sleeves which took as long as doing all the rest. 

So I finished it last night and here is the result!

Entry No 8 Beepbeepsew

Hello everyone, I hope you don't mind me taking part. I've read through the thread and you all have done lovely work, can't wait til the deadline so that I can enjoy all the pretties.

I've only just joined the forum and happened to be making a floral top - so this is my entry.

The fabric is a rayon that I purchased from ebay, it was described as having a light cotton voile feel and it does - but it also has a slight seersucker texture that I like.

I was originally making from an old new look pattern but was having to hack it a bit and the fitting was frustrating me.  So I decided to make Deer and Doe's Datura Blouse instead!

Constructionwise, I made the pattern up exactly as it was except I sewed the side seams at 1cm instead of 1.5 because I was worried it would be too small despite making it in the largest size  :S 

Front

Handmade label with the date

Pretty bias binding! (surplus quilting cotton)

Back

It is a tight fight but wearable. I am in the process of making myself smaller though so I'm hoping it won't be a problem for long. Overall, I love it - I would have bought it in a shop in a heartbeat.  Now I'm planning all the other Datura Blouses that I want to make.

Thanks for looking :)

Entry No 9 Sewruthiesew

Here's a quick indoor picture of my top. The pattern is one I made myself from a favourite RTW top. The print jersey fabric was from deep in the sewing resources and I don't remember where I bought it.
I'm going to wear it today with dark brown trousers for work.

Entry No 10 Tamnymore

Well here is my entry such as it is! The fabric is a vintage rayon from ebay- one of those where the seller is clearing an attic and has no idea what the fabric is. However a burn test showed it was a natural fibre and it seems much more like a viscose than cotton so let's call it rayon. It is quite dense and a lovely rich colour with a slight sheen.

Unfortunately the fabric is a bit difficult to sew and it tends to pucker on the seams and hems. I don't know how much you can see on the photo and I'm not entirely happy with the result but I don't love it enough to alter it any more. You can't see the detail very well on my version but it has some interesting details and I like the pockets.

I used the new Lisette pattern B6567. I made the neck smaller. I made the front bodice from one piece rather than two and I lengthened it to make it below the knee. If I made this again I would make the bodice more fitted and I'd make it tunic length.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Entry No 11 DementedFairy

McCall's 5056
A tropical panel print, cotton lawn, plus an old duvet cover.  Changes to pattern- elastic waist instead of drawstring, shortened by 2", all assembly done fast and dirty on the overlocker.
Very wearable and comfy, and a great way to get more-than-a-circle out of a fairly narrow piece of fabric [it's cut in godets and rectangular panels]
I'll be making a few more of these, I like the way it moves, and have had a lot of compliments already.

Entry No 12 Helen M

This is my Style Arc Harmony top. https://www.stylearc.com/shop/pdf-sewing-patterns/harmony-woven-top-pdf/ Fabric is a silky polyester bought from Lili fabrics at Manchester Hobbycraft show. Each sleeve has 4 pieces, 2 of which are semi circle ruffles that need ‘finishing’, time consuming! I used an overlocked edge and turned once option rather than a double turned hem.

Changes made were to increase side seams from 3/8” to 5/8”, with hindsight maybe the smaller size would have worked but it’s ages since I sewed a woven top so erred on the side of caution. I shortened length by 1 1/2” which is normal for me.

Not sure if I’ll make it again as it’s a fashion thing but nice and summery plus the sleeves are ‘arm friendly’!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Entry No 13 Greybird

This is the dress I have just finished for my grand-daughter (also shown on my diary thread). I used B3714 and made no alterations, except that I made the sleeveless version and then made a separate bodice, with sleeves and buttoned down the back, that can be worn over the top if the weather is cooler (this is to be worn for a wedding). I hope the pictures come out right - I have no confidence that I can do it every time!  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Entry No 14 Kwaaked

I spent the day with my daughter sewing for the floral contest.  Her dad went fishing, and having nothing to do...gave her a stack of magazines, ads, catalogs and told her to have fun.  She spent a good portion of the afternoon tearing pages out of them.  So...beginning of the mood board-ish?

I have the theme, and a couple items...now it's time to get creative since I finished the pants...and in between my summer classes of course.
Finally got photos.
Self drafted, ribbon trim, dress hooks, polyester suiting.

Entry No 15 Fajita

Well I've put the collar on. All it needs now is buttons and buttonholes. I think I'll leave those till I get my main machine back.

I'm not sure I'll ever wear this item. The decorative piece makes one half much heavier than the other.

Hip hip hoorah. Machine is back. Buttonholes are done. Now to sew on some buttons and I'm done.
All done.
Massively huge, so I will not be wearing it, and I'm a big girl to start with, and it drowns me.
But I do like the look of it.
Glad it's finished now.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:59:27 AM by Manuela »