The Sewing Place

One Pattern Three Ways - TSP's first competition in 2018

UttaRetch

Re: One Pattern Three Ways - TSP's first competition in 2018
« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2018, 12:43:24 PM »
@b15erk: this blogger did an outstanding version (reviewed on PR), which is what first attracted me to the pattern.  I am going to the Knitting & stitching show tomorrow and must try to remember to buy a copy.

Look forward to seeing your version and details of how you drafted the lining.

b15erk

« Reply #121 on: February 28, 2018, 13:31:53 PM »
Just had a look at that blog UR, (thank you!) and it seems straightforward.  The blogger doesn't mention anything really weird about the pattern.

I'm going to trace off the pattern as it is, and make any alterations on the toile.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Tamnymore

« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2018, 13:58:21 PM »
Lovely dress @Acorn . Has a great, slightly retro, look and the piping really sets it off nicely.

Lovely jacket pattern @b15erk .
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

UttaRetch

« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2018, 17:11:03 PM »
@b15erk: KwikSew as it's name implies, doesn't go in for really involved patterns, so I imagine that it won't be much of a challenge to you.  I don't think the blogger mentioned anything about the lining as it probably presented no challenge to her.

Francesca

« Reply #124 on: March 01, 2018, 23:36:33 PM »
The first, rather basic instalment is done.

Next I think will have a ruffle peplum. Third will be a dress.

Francesca

« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2018, 23:47:09 PM »
Is anyone still playing along? I have made a jumper dress version but not sure I will get to number 3 because I have too much other stuff on the list!

mudcat

« Reply #126 on: March 07, 2018, 02:18:20 AM »
In theory I like the idea of one pattern three ways. But, I haven't really found a pattern that I want to do that with. 

In the meantime I look forward to seeing what you all come up with while waiting for the next contest.

Tamnymore

« Reply #127 on: March 07, 2018, 08:12:21 AM »
I'm definitely doing this and I'm using  jacket pattern Vogue 9212. I've finished garment number 1 which is a top rather than a jacket and I'm pleased with the result. I must  post pics.
I've now started the second garment, a jacket. No pattern matching as it us a suit weight Donegal tweed.  I'm hoping I can speed up on this one as I'm sure of the fit now and I don't need to overlock as it is lined. More soon!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 10:00:34 AM by Tamnymore »

Efemera

« Reply #128 on: March 07, 2018, 08:58:07 AM »
I must get on with no 3... I’ve sort of got sidetracked :S

Acorn

« Reply #129 on: March 07, 2018, 09:18:36 AM »
I have cut out my second one, but it has embroidery around the neck and on my first go my machine decided that it hates the fabric.  I think a change of stabiliser will sort that out, and fortunately I have enough fabric to cut out another piece (I think), but I have people staying later this week and have had to tidy up. 

I'll be back at it on Friday.   :snip:  :vintage:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Manuela

« Reply #130 on: March 07, 2018, 12:25:34 PM »
Great to see all the progress here, just about 2.5 months and I'm back behind the sewing machine again  :D

Morgan

« Reply #131 on: March 07, 2018, 16:19:13 PM »
  second one, but it has embroidery around the neck . .
ooh interesting.  Looking forward to seeing this.

. . . I'm back behind the sewing machine again
Enjoy

Progress update
Version1 and Version 2 of mine are complete and have been worn and I'm on with Version 3.You

I liked Version 1 with the neck & hem slashes, buttons + collar so much I did a repeat of that one and both have been worn several times.  I can see more copies of version 1 appearing in the wardrobe for next autumn/winter.

The pattern work for version 2, which is a variation on colour blocking, took a while.  Now it's complete and made up in contrasting colours which accentuates the design.  I'm very pleased with the concept although I've decided this one very much a prototype.  I will make Version 2 again but with 3 changes.
Originally I wanted a looser fit with this one and now I'd prefer it with less ease, however to keep the diagonal seam lines correct at the sides, the pattern work will need to be done again on a closer fitting base pattern rather than the one where I added the ease before drawing the lines.
I like the asymmetrical stepped collar idea I used on version 2 which has a V neck but I suspect that a stepped collar will look far better in a woven than a knit, or maybe in a knit needs just a bit more tweaking.
The third change I'll make will be to try a tone on tone colour way rather than contrast.  There is quite a bit going on with the lines so using a tone on tone will blend the main feature elements of colour and style lines more.  I will try contrasting colours again although I'll audition the colour values first and will probably choose softer contrast colours.  Some contrasts are more stark.

Version 3 is the cardigan and Real Life stalled progress on this one for several days.  The pattern work is done and the fabric cut out.
I lengthened the Tshirt pattern, cut a V neck then split the front up the centre and removed what will be the front edge band.  For the band I made a pattern for a shawl collar and then adapted it to run into a  straight band down the front and around a curve to the side seam.
Winging it a lot on this one using the real fabric, which hasn't got much stretch to it despite being a sweater knit.  That could be a mistake or should that be design opportunity?  Maybe I'll get to sew it up  later today or tomorrow.

I've taken photos along the way and I'll sort those when I've sorted Version 3.

Anyone else noticed that they are making more of an effort than usual to get to sew their 3 versions made up because they publicly committed to doing them on here?  It's kicked in the sewing mojo for me.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 16:31:19 PM by Morgan »

Tamnymore

« Reply #132 on: March 07, 2018, 16:50:40 PM »
@Morgan I totally agree. Publicly commiting this has given me a wee push. I'm at t'sewing machine right now   :D

DementedFairy

« Reply #133 on: March 07, 2018, 17:40:23 PM »
I'm partway through two versions of Style Arc Lani tunic...but do I want another?  Probably not.  SO I'm more likely to crack on with the trousers from the Tom and Linda Platt V1415 OR the trousers from Kathryn Brenne's V9114.  Oh I dunno... trouble is I did several multiples before this competition started, so I'm a bit bored now!
C'est moi!

Tamnymore

« Reply #134 on: March 08, 2018, 16:56:15 PM »
Here's my first version of Vogue 9212 as a tunic rather than a jacket. You can't see the seaming but it works quite well as a tunic. I've used gold buttons acquired from a charity shop, If you do make it as a tunic you don't really need 2-piece sleeves- you could just trace the sleeve parts and turn them into a traditional one-piece sleeve. The other thing is just how much to use facings. I completely faced the upper centre front and the lower front and hand-stitched the edges which took a while. With a tunic you only really need to face the upper centre front far enough to accommodate any buttons, buttonholes or other closings - you don't really need to face all the way up to the seam with the side front so you could draft narrower facings. Also you don't really need to face the lower centre front panels (ie.e the front peplum bit).

Onto the next version now!