The Sewing Place

One Pattern Three Ways - TSP's first competition in 2018

BrendaP

Re: One Pattern Three Ways - TSP's first competition in 2018
« Reply #165 on: March 23, 2018, 23:34:42 PM »
They look like this
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
and instructions for making them are at
https://maryhickmott.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/yorkshire-buttons-set-of-6-pages.pdf

I used a disc of card about 1" diameter - I didn't measure I just drew around a cotton reel and I just snipped into it rather than chopping out big wedges.

They take a little bit of time to make, but once you get going they are quite easy.  :thread:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #166 on: March 24, 2018, 07:24:25 AM »
My granny used those on her crochet.  :o She crocheted a dress for my mum with long gloves to match in what was, basically, white thread!  :o Boy was she some needle woman!
Fab @BrendaP. Absolutely fab,
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

sleepingwolf

« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2018, 08:05:12 AM »
I haven't see Yorkshire buttons before.  They look a little like Dorset buttons which I have made in the past but those are wrapped around a metal ring so the size is limited to the ring size you can find.  Thanks for the link to the tutorial.

Acorn

« Reply #168 on: March 29, 2018, 20:19:41 PM »
@Manuela - do you want us to post our final pictures on here?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Tamnymore

« Reply #169 on: March 29, 2018, 20:48:12 PM »
Just to say I only managed two of my three versions of Vogue 9212 but I'll post a pic of the second version (a jacket) here just so you can see, probably on Monday as I'm busy over the weekend. I'm pleased with how it worked out so I can definitely recommend that pattern.

Well done to those of you who managed three versions from one pattern. Looking forward to seeing your outfits.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Manuela

« Reply #170 on: March 29, 2018, 21:34:24 PM »
@Manuela - do you want us to post our final pictures on here?
Yes please. I'll then lift them off and create a voting thread where I combine the entries for each member.
So if you could please post one post here, with a quick descrition of what you did with the pattern to make each of your 3 versions.

I am sooooo looking forward to it  :D

Morgan

« Reply #171 on: March 30, 2018, 01:51:46 AM »
Finished and washed, photos tomorrow.

Efemera

« Reply #172 on: March 30, 2018, 08:42:44 AM »
I’m all done ... just pictures to take but won’t be able to until Tuesday..is that OK?

DementedFairy

« Reply #173 on: March 30, 2018, 10:23:53 AM »
Looks like I ran out of time on this [and several other online challenges I planned to do]  Ah well, not to worry!
C'est moi!

Manuela

« Reply #174 on: March 30, 2018, 14:15:57 PM »
I’m all done ... just pictures to take but won’t be able to until Tuesday..is that OK?
No problem   :)

Acorn

« Reply #175 on: March 30, 2018, 19:13:40 PM »
I have finished!

Bootstrap 45179 is the pattern I used:   

Strangely, I discovered last night that I already owned Style Arc Kristin, which is almost identical, although without the yoke.  At some point I will have to make it to compare!

My first garment is almost as the pattern shows it, in a cotton lawn from my stash that probably came from Doughties.  I lengthened it, because nobody wants to see my knees, and I omitted the zip because I find I rarely need them.  In terms of fitting I narrowed the shoulders, took in the sides and shaped the back seam, which made it less sack-like.  I added trim to the edge of the yoke because the feature was lost in the pattern, and balanced it with trim on the pockets.  This was the result:

The second version was tunic length, made in another fabric from my stash, a very cheap denim from Fabric Guild which, from the feel of it, has quite a high proportion of manmade fibre, and is quite soft.  In terms of fitting I narrowed the shoulders and shaped the sides a little, but kept the back seam straight because the fabric has good drape.

I embroidered around the neckline, so I didn't include the yoke, but shaped the neck to match the line of the embroidery, and faced it.  I originally intended to add a peplum and gathered ruffles to the sleeves, but pinning the gathered peplum showed that the fabric really wasn't suitable so I kept it simple, not wanting to look like a wide triangle.  Fortunately I had cut the front and back long enough to keep it tunic length, with the hem slightly lower at the back, even without the peplum. 

The third and final garment was another top, this time in a cotton voile from Minerva - also from my stash (3 out of 3 - go me!)  I didn't do the yoke because I felt the fabric was too fine, so I faced it again, with a slightly lower, round neck.  I narrowed the shoulders again and took the sides in a lot more above and at the waist, and flared it out a lot below the waist.  I also curved the hemline, and I added an ungathered flounce with a short slit to each sleeve.

I am pleased with all three, but I absolutely love the third one.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 19:27:35 PM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

mudcat

« Reply #176 on: March 30, 2018, 20:16:28 PM »
Great job on your variations Acorn.  I also like the third one best.  Such a rich color.

BrendaP

« Reply #177 on: March 30, 2018, 21:27:25 PM »
I like the colour of the third one too, but I also like the version with the embroidery.  0_0
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Morgan

« Reply #178 on: March 30, 2018, 22:09:26 PM »
1 pattern 3 ways - for some daywear

(I've attached links to the photos because when I use the insert image it displays very large and I can't find a way to place them as thumbnails.)

I started with my basic Tshirt block and lengthened it to make it into a tunic pattern.  The Tunic Pattern is the one I used for my 3 versions of the same pattern.

Version 1 is  a basic tunic with a straight hemline to which I added a hem split, collar and neckline details and used decorative stitches to give some interest to the covered buttons.
The fabric is a stable, soft double knit jersey fabric in a mushroom/taupe colour and a piece of red jersey was used for a contrast fabric to give a piped edge effect on the plackets and one collar edge.
closeup photo here [size=78%]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3b/19/13/3b1913f20fbb47a48cf82cc96e04639d.jpg[/size]

Version 2 is a colour block version made by adapting the tunic pattern.  Some ease was added at the hips and hemline which was shaped to curve into the side seams.  I lowered the back hemline 5cm and drew the position of the lines to form the colour block pattern.  all grain lines were marked and then the pattern was cut apart, pieces copied and seam allowances added.  I drafted a shawl collar for this one and tried an experiment with a stepped collar on one side.  The fabric is a soft lightweight jersey with some lycra content.
This version is an experiment / prototype so I made it in strong contrasting colours in order to show up any potential proportion issues.  I like the curved lines and will make it up in a tone on tone version rather than contrasting colours.  I'll do something different with the sleeve insert and will put a deep band on the neckline rather than the collar.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f6/79/2f/f6792f329a30b85f453c510ef5e21086.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/59/f9/ac/59f9acdbecc1f4dce9c0ea8878319c8c.jpg

Version 3 is a long cardigan version made by adapting the tunic pattern.  The round neck was made into a curved V, then I split the front up the Centre front line and made the front hem corners into curves.  The front band is a piece cut on the crosswise grain and folded double.  It's attached with a 4 thread overlock and then the seam allowance was secured with a single line of top stitching.  The original plan was to attach some patch pockets inspired by these, but when I auditioned them on the cardigan they looked clumsy so that was a no.  Very happy with this cardigan.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/51/59/6f/51596fec72727bdc02894201933849c9.jpg

all are here together with the inspirations
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 22:27:33 PM by Morgan »

Manuela

« Reply #179 on: March 31, 2018, 00:56:22 AM »
Thanks Acorn and Morgan. @Morgan the links work, so no worries.