The Sewing Place

One Pattern Three Ways - TSP's first competition in 2018

Manuela

Re: One Pattern Three Ways - TSP's first competition in 2018
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2018, 15:47:24 PM »
I have that pattern and shortlisted a teal coloured cotton eyelet fabric for it. Looking forward to your three versiins of it @Efemera

Lizzy777

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2018, 16:16:27 PM »
That's a lovely pattern Efferma, I noticed it the other week when I was looking at their coat patterns. Have you downloaded the pattern as a pdf or are you going to send off for the paper version?

I fancied getting the oslo coat pattern in paper version but it is fairly expensive to have it sent in this way. Am not a pdf fan at all unfortunately.

lizzy

BrendaP

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2018, 16:45:44 PM »
I've never heard of ClothSpot before.

The order was placed yesterday lunchtime/early afternoon and it arrived with today's post.  0_0
Nicely wrapped in tissue inside the poly posting envelope and nice quality fabric.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Efemera

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2018, 16:56:49 PM »
I downloaded the Eva dress...it’s still to be stuck together...

Lizzy777

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2018, 17:14:01 PM »
I downloaded the Eva dress...it’s still to be stuck together...

Ok thanks! Let me know how you get on with it then sticking it all together.

Tamnymore

« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2018, 13:08:34 PM »
I'm finally getting round to thinking about this.

I plan to use Vogue 9212 https://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v9212

This is a pattern for a fitted, lined jacket. I have a river of tweed, nay a Cairngormsful of tweed so this will be a good way of using up some of my tweed mountain. I have a very tasty piece of mid-blue tartan Harris tweed but it's only 1.3m so nowhere near enough for a whole jacket. I've also got 2m of a plain blue tweed which is a very close match to the tartan. The plain piece was sold to me online as Harris tweed but I'm sure it isn't - it's much softer - but at £12 pm it was way too cheap to be Harris tweed anyway. The jacket pattern is in sections so I'll make the centre front and back panels in the tartan and also, I hope, the peplum bit and maybe the collar. Facings can be in the plain tweed leaving the maximum amount of tartan visible. I'll use large snap fasteners as in the pattern. I've got some tartan lining which I obtained for the princely sum of £1pm from Edgeley Fabrics in Stockport.

Jacket no. 2 will be in a back and white Donegal tweed (it's a Magee tweed). I see I'm unintentionally doing a Celtic connections here! I'm planning to use some chunky black toggles I got from a local charity shop and some leather thongs to make button loops. So I should get quite a different looks from Jacket no. 1

Jacket no. 3 won't be a jacket. Instead I'm using the same patterns to make a tunic. I'm using a fairly drapey viscose (see below) and omitting the linings and only using a very lightweight interfacing so let's see if this works. I'll use buttons and buttonholes on this one. I'm going to do this version first so it can act as a toile for the more time-consuming and fabric-costly jackets. If the pattern doesn't work for me I'll stop here. I have to ease the pattern out quite a bit round the tum (ahem) and across the back and at the top of the sleeves. I've seen a youtube video from Vogue and have forensically inspected reviews on patternreview. People seem to have a problem with the peplum lining so I'll need to watch out for that.

I'm going to have to step on the gas to get all this done in the time but I'll enjoy the challenge.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Acorn

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2018, 14:17:40 PM »
Wow! 

I will look forward to seeing these.   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2018, 18:54:03 PM »
Nice pattern, Tamnymore - I do seem to have very similar tastes to you!  I looked a the pattern before I read the rest of your post and also thought "that could be a blouse"!

I'd love to join in with this competition, but unfortunately at the moment the house has to take priority, painting to do and then stuff to move into correct rooms and sort it all out!  Hopefully my sewing room will be usable in two or three (or four) weeks time.

Manuela

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2018, 22:04:29 PM »
@Tamnymore that sounds like a fantabulous plan with a great looking pattern. Somehow that pattern completely escaped my radar.

BlueCat

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2018, 23:34:07 PM »
I ordered this pattern last week, after admiring it for months.  I have seen it made up in Kaffe Fassett fabrics in a patchwork design....stunning;  and was going to do something similar, but I have been hoarding some Japanese prints which I think would work well with this jacket. 

Tamnymore

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2018, 08:53:08 AM »
Thanks for your encouragement, folks. I'll have to make a good job- no pressure. I look forward to seeing other versions. Yes I saw the Kaffe Fassett version @BlueCat . It is fabulous.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 18:52:33 PM by Tamnymore »

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2018, 18:33:51 PM »
A bit late to the discussions, but I'm going to try this with New Look 6067.

https://images.patternreview.com/sewing/patterns/newlook/2011/6067/6067.jpg

I've got three fabrics in the stash:

Viscose mix? with a large bright paisley type pattern.  Going to make view C, but with long sleeves - not the ones from the pattern, something more interesting. Cheap fabric.

Red/green stripped silk: View A; View C but with different short sleeves, perhaps a more flared skirt, and not sure whether I can find a suitable buckle (or want to pay to get one covered), may make some form of sash instead.  Would want to make a long/flared enough skirt to use all the fabric as it was expensive and I've no idea what I would do with any leftovers.

Black/Purple burned velvet.  Sleeveless, but with some kind of integral cape/cloak.  Will really struggle for a buckle with that one; may make a peplum type thing, that hangs down lower than the cloak. I don't think it was expensive but I've got 3 metres of it, so can makes capes and peplums to my hearts content.

There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Tamnymore

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2018, 18:51:36 PM »
Sounds great @Goth Gardiner . Love the idea of the velvet version with a cape - very Catwoman.  :D

BlueCat

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2018, 21:41:10 PM »
@Goth Gardiner   I have that pattern, and it makes up really nice. Made mine (a few years ago) in a silky satin fabric. Easy to make and easy to wear.

Manuela

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2018, 04:56:59 AM »
@Goth Gardiner love the idea of an integrated cape thingy - the world needs more capes!