The Sewing Place

One Pattern Three Ways - TSP's first competition in 2018

Acorn

Re: One Pattern Three Ways - TSP's first competition in 2018
« Reply #135 on: March 08, 2018, 17:05:34 PM »
That's lovely - and gorgeous fabric.

Bit sad to see Crocs and not Docs though...  :P  ;)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Tamnymore

« Reply #136 on: March 08, 2018, 17:22:05 PM »
Thanks @Acorn. Sorry about those Crocs (well spotted BTW). I use them as slippers and only had them on to nip outside. I shall remember to don my Docs for future photos!  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #137 on: March 08, 2018, 19:53:43 PM »
Nice one, Tamnymore  0_0
I'm so looking forward to getting my sewing room sorted and getting sewing again.

Acorn

« Reply #138 on: March 09, 2018, 11:41:37 AM »
I'm getting on well with my second garment. 

Thank you so much for the advice on doing a narrow shoulder adjustment - I'm very pleased with the shoulders on this one, and it's an unforgiving material.  Actually, the material is quite strange.  It was very cheap (£4.80 for 3m) and was intended to be used for a toile, but it was nicer than I expected.  It was described as cotton denim, but there's a lot of something else as well as cotton.  It's lovely to wear.  I tried to go back and get more, but it had all gone.

The embroidery caused more problems on the second attempt, and I had to finish part of it by hand, but I'm quite pleased with it now.  Lowena will be delighted to see that not only is there embroidery on this garment, but there is green in the embroidery.   ;)  :P 

Next job is to do the neckline facing, shaping it to match the embroidery.  No yoke on this one.  Then the peplum and the ruffles on the sleeves.  This is a lot looser than the dress (which is cotton lawn, or something very similar), but because of the drape in the fabric it doesn't look it.

Tamnymore

« Reply #139 on: March 09, 2018, 11:54:17 AM »
Fab embroidery @Acorn . Eat your heart out Edinburgh Woolen Mill!

BrendaP

« Reply #140 on: March 11, 2018, 00:30:22 AM »
I have two dresses almost finished from McCalls 7084, but I keep forgetting to take photos!  Today I cut out a shirt and I hope to get some of the sewing done tomorrow.

The plan is to leave all the buttonholes until last and then finish all three garments at the same time.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

DementedFairy

« Reply #141 on: March 11, 2018, 08:54:22 AM »
\Hmm
I got my two Style Arc Lanis done yesterday, but do I want another?  Not really...
SO I switched to the Platt 1415 for the trousers...and they will take too much faff to fit.

Bugger!
C'est moi!

Tamnymore

« Reply #142 on: March 11, 2018, 09:17:30 AM »
So a sort of mad buttonholing spree at tbe end @BrendaP ?

I know what you mean @DementedFairy  I'm on version 2 of Vogue 9212 and this one's a Donegal tweed jacket but the next one's a Harris Tweed jacket! I'll need stamina to keep my celtic tweeds in check. I bet there will be a heatwave when I'm finished so I'll be longing for linen not tweed. However if I can cause a heatwave by sewing tweed - a sort if inverse tweed rain dance - then that's fine with me!

BrendaP

« Reply #143 on: March 11, 2018, 09:41:51 AM »
Yes.  It's a bit of a faff getting the buttonholer attached, but since discoverung what a fab job the old buttonholers do I'm no longer scared of them  :vintage:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Manuela

« Reply #144 on: March 11, 2018, 12:11:08 PM »
Yes.  It's a bit of a faff getting the buttonholer attached, but since discoverung what a fab job the old buttonholers do I'm no longer scared of them  :vintage:
It'll become second nature once you do it often enough. And yes, the quality of the buttonholes these attachments make is fantabulous.

Acorn

« Reply #145 on: March 14, 2018, 16:23:09 PM »
Change of plan for garment 2.  It isn't getting a peplum!  The fabric does not lend itself to gathering and I really don't want to look like a big triangle.  Fortunately I made the main body long because I wasn't sure what level the peplum needed to be, so I do have the length for a respectable top - I fact I have the length for a high low hem.  Hmm.

I might stick with the sleeve ruffles, with fairly sparse gathering - I'll pin them and have a look I think.

Efemera

« Reply #146 on: March 16, 2018, 08:27:11 AM »
How’s everyone doing?...got ant pictures. I’m about to start number 3

Tamnymore

« Reply #147 on: March 16, 2018, 10:03:38 AM »
You are steaming ahead @Efemera . I had a detour to sew a tartan skirt from that Kathryn Brenne pattern that DementedFairy used -it's for our Scottish country dancing group's annual dance tomorrow. This means that I'm a bit behind on sewing for the 3 ways sewalong and I'm still on jacket number 2 from Vogue 9212. It is possible I might not finish all 3 for rhe deadline but I'll plough ahead anyway!

Acorn

« Reply #148 on: March 16, 2018, 10:18:22 AM »
My second one is currently in the washing machine together with some fabric that might be the third one.  It's a knit fabric, but with almost no stretch.  I'm not convinced it isn't going to come out of the washing machine looking as though the moths have been at it though, and it is a little see-through.

Number two ended up with no flouncy bits at all.  It has a slightly high-low hem and drapes nicely.

Number 3 is probably going to have long sleeves and a pointy hemline.  I haven't decided whether to have the yoke or not. 

Lachica

« Reply #149 on: March 16, 2018, 11:10:19 AM »
I'm not sure whether I was supposed to register first for this? Anyway, made during March, for my 13 month old granddaughter who is slim but tall. Size M on the baby dress pattern, which is supposed to be sized for 6-9 months, but I think was designed in the era of terry nappies, because it comes up big. These are to be worn as tops with leggings. The blue chambray is as per pattern, the blue/ivory has had the bodice altered to take sleeves by combining B3405 ( tuck front) with B5624. The polka dot white on white is also based on the combined bodice, but I folded the pintucks into the tissue paper then cut it to shape. Opened out the pintucks before cutting fabric.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.