The Sewing Place

Sudoku Sewing - the ultimate wardrobe-building sew-along

Manuela

Sudoku Sewing - the ultimate wardrobe-building sew-along
« on: January 28, 2018, 02:29:44 AM »
For all those wanting to create wardrobes, mini wardrobes, capsule collections, etc. - here is TSP's Sudoku sew-along. There are no deadlines, timeframes or restrictions.
Its fun and rewarding. You can incorporate RTW stuff you have, shoes and accessories and see where the journey takes you.

Post your grids/ideas/projects here, you can use them in upcoming competitions as well. The goal is to create coordinated wardrobes and/or mini collection for travel, occasions, etc.

1. You need to start from scratch because you lost weight, de-cluttered, got a new job, hate what you have in your closet? Start dreaming and do a full Sudoku  :)

2. You have a number of orphans (including shoes) in your closet you like a lot, but don't wear because you don't really have anything that goes with them? Put them into a Sudoku grid and think about what you need to enjoy wearing them.

3. You have a number of coordinating garments and would like to build from there? Put them into a Sudoku grid and add what you need to have a complete mini wardrobe.

And then......... start sewing  ;)

Here is the basic grid

Accessories can be anything from jewellery, bags, scarves to coats, vests, capes or jackets

Question: I wear mostly dresses, how can I make this work?
Consider dresses as bottoms and anything you wear with them (jackets, coats, dusters, tabards, carries, vests....) as tops. That restricts you choice of accessories to jewellery, bags, scarves, etc. though.

Question: How can I incorporate jackets and coats when I do a top/blouse plus trousers/skirts grid?
Here you can use jackets, coats, etc. as accessories - best to put them into the squares where they you get the most combinations out of them.

If it proves to be popular, we can run this as a kind of 'eternal' sew-along -  a bit like the BOM at The Dark Side  ;)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 10:20:56 AM by Manuela »

DementedFairy

Re: Sudoku Sewing - the ultimate wardrobing sew-along
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 18:03:36 PM »
Now I understand sudoku!
C'est moi!

Manuela

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 00:23:37 AM »
Here is one of my plans, it has to wait until later this year though.
I pretty much know how the denim lace trench coat is going to look like, but am at a complete loss when it comes to the houndstooth. It is a 'precious' fabric, as in fairly expensive and the most beautifully soft Italian wool...

[/url]

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 09:21:52 AM »
Whilst that is a great a idea, I don't think it'll work for me who only wears trainers, only has one handbag, and only wears jeans  0_0

I do look forward to seeing other peoples' plans though   0_0

Acorn

Re: Sudoku Sewing - the ultimate wardrobe-building sew-along
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 10:30:22 AM »
I'll sit on the bench with you Bodge!

I could fill it in... black jeans, blue jeans, light blue jeans, grey jeans.  Black boots, other black boots, trainers, wellies.  All tops go with everything.  I do have a lot of bags, but again, they all go with everything. 
Looking forward to spectating though!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

DementedFairy

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 11:50:06 AM »
@Manuela
The bouclé might work made up into a hack of the Style Arc Toni dress: by leaving the front seam open, Ruth of Core Couture has made  several lovely long line waistcoats that are very versatile.

C'est moi!

Manuela

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 12:22:45 PM »
@DementedFairy , thank you, I was thinking alont those lines. Ruth's lonline vest is fabulous, nice clean lines, but also a bit of drama... I need to check how much I actually have of that lovele fabric. I have a black and white stripes cotton/silk lining for it as well - could also be used for some sort of trim.
My last assignment for the course is due in Mid-May.... Will have time to dream until then  :angel:

justpottering

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 20:08:22 PM »
I don't particularly understand it but I'll have a go as I am aiming to make a new wardrobe including things that will go with shoes and scarves that I have already (and if I don't then I shall get   :ninja: )

I need to have some time to think and get my head around it though - watch this space!
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

mudcat

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 20:56:03 PM »
justpottering .. the idea of Sudoku is that you have three outfits using some of the same components. It can also help you see where you have holes in your wardrobe. I have a tendency to always wear the same tops with the same bottoms.  The grid would allow me to move things around and come up with new outfit possibilities.

Here's one I planned about a year ago though I've yet to do anything with it.  I'm much better at planning than follow-through.

justpottering

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 21:36:14 PM »
Thanks @mudcat that makes sense I might have to make two grids  0_0

I have loads of ideas, not enough time  :S
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 21:43:58 PM »
justpottering .. the idea of Sudoku is that you have three outfits using some of the same components.

I thought that the idea of a 4x4 grid was to show you 10 possible ways to combine any four of the 16 items.  4 horizontal rows, 4 vertical rows and 2 diagonal rows.  In theory everything in the grid should co-ordinate with everything else (other than shoes with boots or skirt with trousers)
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

mudcat

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 00:01:58 AM »
The vertical, horizontal and diagonal lines give you a minimum of three outfits for any given item.  Sorry, I don't think I worded it very clearly before. I know when I created it that moving things in a different direction gave one direction that only worked with two out of three lines.