The Sewing Place

Leotard binding into straps

CarolC

Leotard binding into straps
« on: January 28, 2018, 16:29:59 PM »
Hello lovely people! This is probably an obvious question, and there may already be a thread about it, but....

I’m making a halter neck leotard in Lycra from a self drafted pattern, so no help from instructions. I want to have an elasticated Lycra binding along the arm hole edges that extends out to become elasticated neck straps.

What’s the best way of attaching this? I obviously don’t want visible raw edges on the straps, and preferably not underneath either, but to achieve that, how do I sew it to the arm edges?

I just can’t see how to do it other than to sew the straps to the armhole edges, then sew elastic to the wrong side of the straps/binding and fold in the raw edges of the straps, but that isn’t very pretty on the back of the straps.

Any thoughts, tutorials etc appreciated.

Thanks!! Carol xx

Yellowfeather

Re: Leotard binding into straps
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 20:23:48 PM »
The easiest way ever is to buy fold over elastic and use that for your binding/straps.  If that doesn't work for you, I do it this way.  Cut the lycra for the binding 4 times wider than you need it to be.  i usually cut an inch.  Sew the binding right side to the wrong side of the leotard, matching the edges. If you stretch it slightly as you sew it sits better or overlock it.  Then fold it up and over to the front, and fold under the raw edge, stitch it down along the folded front edge.  Then for the straps, keep the folds and continue sewing along the edge.  Not sure I have explained it that well, but imagine it as bias binding only in lycra!!!  I dont use elastic when i do this, as the lycra acts as the elastic.

Lollipop

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 21:44:03 PM »
Carol, if you look at the Jalie website you can look at the instructions without buying the patters. Look at the instructions for Violeta and it shows exactly what you are looking for.
Was Sewnanny

CarolC

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 22:17:32 PM »
Yellowfeather and Lollipop - thank you!! Those are both really helpful! In this case, i want the straps to be about an inch wide, hence using elastic to stablise it, so the Jalie method is ideal, but I shall store the thinner plain "bias binding" straps for future reference.
 :toast: :toast: <3 <3