The Sewing Place

Latest ballroom dress - Foxtrot intense blue

Marniesews

Re: Latest ballroom dress - Foxtrot intense blue
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 16:32:47 PM »
Thank you all. This is the first competition dress that I've made her that doesn't have a "don't look too closely at that bit" element somewhere, which is a wonderful feeling.  The last dress was the first from my self-drafted darted leotard pattern (thanks to Julie Cole's pattern cutting book - expensive but worth it) and I was pleased with it...as long as I didn't look at the cuff experiment.  :|  For this one, she wanted a knuckle length sleeve that she could just push back - I wasn't too sure but she likes it and it looks fine on.

...and like most grandmas it's always lovely to hear my girlie complimented, especially as she's had a rough 18 months with dance partner issues and came close to giving up. She'd just been doing solos for nearly a year now but another Junior without a partner asked her to dance the Mayfair Quickstep with her - they got through all the rounds and came 3rd after 10 mins of practice in the foyer.  Wonderful to see her rediscover the pleasure of dancing in a couple just for fun.  :D

And what was your solution for keeping the back neat?

I'm glad you asked, Carol. It's the first plunge back I've done but I've had to alter a couple of professional ones (one with a back strap creating that awful figure of 8 effect) which I'd resolved by elasticating the bound edge with rubber tape pulled very tight & folded over around the back to offset the pull from the dress front. Actually there's no elastic or tape anywhere in this dress, I got some corsetry powernet (£2.50m a few weeks ago in a clearance sale!) to make an internal bra front and thought I'd use it to experiment with for a neck binding. It worked brilliantly at the first attempt so that was that! I applied the band with minimal stretch along the front of the neck and then increased the pull around the back. It stayed put really well including through all the rounds of the Mayfair Quickstep with all that arm swinging so that's a TNT technique from now on!

And if you're wondering, I've stopped using tape in the leg openings too as she hates the feeling and now use band binding there on a lower cut leg - also her preference.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Twan

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 18:56:33 PM »
Wow, that's stunning!

Lachica

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 19:37:08 PM »
Beautiful, bother the dress and your DGD.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

sewingj

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 20:26:28 PM »
Beautiful.  She`s very lucky to have such a talented dressmaker in the family

Marniesews

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 20:42:25 PM »
That's very kind sewingj and her fellow dancers often tell her that but I'm really just as lucky to have such a lovely lass to inspire me to sew for.  :D
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Kenora

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2018, 22:26:26 PM »
Absolutely gorgeous.  <3
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Lollipop

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2018, 19:32:08 PM »
Beautiful dress on a beautiful young lady. You must be so proud x
Was Sewnanny

CarolC

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2018, 11:11:49 AM »
Actually there's no elastic or tape anywhere in this dress, I got some corsetry powernet (£2.50m a few weeks ago in a clearance sale!) to make an internal bra front and thought I'd use it to experiment with for a neck binding. It worked brilliantly at the first attempt so that was that! I applied the band with minimal stretch along the front of the neck and then increased the pull around the back. It stayed put really well including through all the rounds of the Mayfair Quickstep with all that arm swinging so that's a TNT technique from now on!

And if you're wondering, I've stopped using tape in the leg openings too as she hates the feeling and now use band binding there on a lower cut leg - also her preference.

Thanks, Jacky!! What a great tip, I will definitely have to try that. I actually have a leotard that needs back edge and leg binding at the moment, so will give it a go.  xxx