The Sewing Place

Tailor's Clapper

Lizzielogs

Tailor's Clapper
« on: January 30, 2018, 07:10:01 AM »
Do any of you guy's use a tailor's clapper? If so what do you use your's for?
I thought it was just another do-dah which I would order and use once but I must say I am more than delighted with what I have used it for so far (ie not much!!) I am hoping it will be useful to stop the crinkle when I fuse interfacing to some of my fabrics but I've not had the occasion to use it for that as yet, it does however make a HUGE difference to flat seams.
After the hectic year I have had sewing handbags I am venturing into the world of making 'proper' purses - not just a zip up thing but something with a coin zip compartment, a place for credit/ store cards a note divider etc etc - you know the type of thing and I am hoping it will help flatten the fabric and cut down on bulk.
I ordered one from eBay and it's utterly beautiful as a piece of crafted wood - totally stroke-able - but perhaps that's just me!!
Tell me your uses please xxxx

Roger

Re: Tailor's Clapper
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 08:12:50 AM »
I haven’t encountered a tailors clapper before,

Is this kind of what you have and how you use it?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YsFy8wgHabQ

A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 08:46:47 AM »
There was a thread about these not too long ago ....

http://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,3104.0.html
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 09:40:40 AM »
Use the pointy side of it like a tiny ironing board for seams in inaccessible places.

Lizzielogs

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 11:37:00 AM »
I haven’t encountered a tailors clapper before,

Is this kind of what you have and how you use it?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YsFy8wgHabQ

Yes, that's exactly it xx

Lizzielogs

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 11:37:34 AM »
There was a thread about these not too long ago ....

http://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,3104.0.html

Oooh thanks Imi, I'll pop over and have a look x

Elnnina

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 16:00:58 PM »
I am attaching a photo I have had stored on my laptop for ages of an actual June Tailor Clapper, and it has the instructions for use on this.

Whilst I do not have a clapper like this I do have the June Tailor Tailor Board and also a separate  June Tailor  clapper and point presser combined.

As you have found all these items are difficult to get these days, the Tailor Board probably only via e-bay, however the clapper and point presser combined is available through two places here in the UK that I know of – The English Couture Company up in Syston Leicestershire, or via Sew Direct down in Havant.  They are not cheap, but once purchased it is a really essential piece of sewing/pressing equipment.

The Tailor Board, the clapper and then the clapper and point presser combined were possibly the most popular items made for dressmakers by June Tailor’s company, however when she sadly passed away for some reason the company stopped manufacturing these much to the dismay of many dressmaker apparently they had been June Tailor’s most popular items sold.  I have heard that some people have managed to find a carpenter who is willing to make these items but at what price.

Occasionally these items do come up on e-bay at a ridiculously high price but they are worth it.  The Tailor Board used to come with optional covers, a very coarse cotton type fabric that has been fused to some foam, again these covers are sometimes found on e-bay.

At one time June Tailor produced a booklet A4 size – 22 pages called The June Tailor Method of Custom Detail Pressing, this covered plain seams, flat felled seams, French seams, simple darts, pointed darts, dress maker’s darts, slashed darts, lapels, interfacing, round collars, pointed collars, set in sleeves.  There is a whole page devoted to the June Tailor  basic pressing equipment which consisted of the Tailor Board, the Clapper, the Sleeve Board, a contoured dressmaker’s ham, a ham holder, a Tailor ham, a  seam roll, a Velvaboard, a Point Presser/Clapper, a pressing mitt, a cushioned pressing pad, a Press Mate ironing Board cover, and various pressing cloths.  The booklet then goes on to show you how to do the pressing using these various pieces of equipment.  My booklet I found possibly through abebooks and came from the USA.

elephun

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 03:34:08 AM »
@Elnnina - Thanks for the tip on the The June Tailor Method of Custom Detail Pressing booklet. I'll see if I can find one for my pressing tools collection. It sounds useful!

The Tailor Board used to come with optional covers, a very coarse cotton type fabric that has been fused to some foam, again these covers are sometimes found on e-bay.

I had these covers. I didn't find them useful so I donated them to a charity shop. I made myself a miniature pressing mat that I can drape over any of the surfaces of my tailor board that works better for me.

It may not be sensible to order it from the US, with the cost of shipping and VAT, but Nancy's Notions do sell the June Tailor tailor boards. It seems like you have to order weeks in advance; perhaps they are specially made once your order is placed?

lakaribane

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 13:12:02 PM »
At one time June Tailor produced a booklet A4 size – 22 pages called The June Tailor Method of Custom Detail Pressing, this covered plain seams, flat felled seams, French seams, simple darts, pointed darts, dress maker’s darts, slashed darts, lapels, interfacing, round collars, pointed collars, set in sleeves.  There is a whole page devoted to the June Tailor  basic pressing equipment which consisted of the Tailor Board, the Clapper, the Sleeve Board, a contoured dressmaker’s ham, a ham holder, a Tailor ham, a  seam roll, a Velvaboard, a Point Presser/Clapper, a pressing mitt, a cushioned pressing pad, a Press Mate ironing Board cover, and various pressing cloths.  The booklet then goes on to show you how to do the pressing using these various pieces of equipment.  My booklet I found possibly through abebooks and came from the USA.

Thank you so much for this! I went on Amazon and found a few...and got one! (traveling friend? sewing mule! ;) )

Elnnina

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 14:45:35 PM »
Elephun, the June Tailor booklet was published in 1992 – so this may help in tracking one down.

I also have another smaller leaflet that is fan folded (printed in 1962) called How to use your Tailor Board, and this shows you how to use your Tailor Board without its covers.

June Tailor certainly found a gap in the market when she invented these items, they are essential tools in the workroom and can make all the difference between a home made look or a professional look.  It is a pity that they are so very difficult to find – well certainly over in the UK.

If we were all to stop and take stock of the different pieces of equipment we have in our ‘sewing rooms’, add up all the costs involved we would be horrified – thank goodness we don’t have to go out and buy everything at once.  I am still using little bits of sewing aids that I had as a teenager.  In fact I was given a couple of Irish Linen tea towels (drying cloths) as a wedding present, I am still using these today as my pressing cloths and they are brilliant, despite the constant use they are still useable despite the cloths wearing a bit thin after all this time.

Bowerbird

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 22:02:50 PM »
I had put a link to the University of Kentucky's instructions for making pressing tools-clapper, seam board, ham etc etc, but I'll attach the pdf here as well.

If you know someone with a penchant for making piles of woodshavings (cough) woodworking you could maybe convince/coerce them into making some.

elephun

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 02:31:00 AM »
Bowerbird, I love that instruction sheet. I periodically lose track of it on the web, and I am so disappointed every time!

Here are a couple of other links that might be useful for people wanting to make pressing tools. These offer a more "bloggy" look at a couple of the tools covered in the Bowerbird's PDF.
1. Pressing Mitt Tutorial: Makery
2. Plans for a tailor board, and other pressing tools info.

Thanks, Elnina! You are sure right about the costs adding up. I've picked up some of my hard-to-find pressing and sewing treasures used at estate sales, yard sales, and thrift shops, which really helps keep the cost down compared to shopping on Ebay or Etsy for them. Luckily, we can use (and acquire!) most of these tools over decades   0_0 

One thing I like about June Tailor tools is the good instructions on them. I have posted pictures of my Tailor Board and my Contour Ham and holder with their instructions, inspired by the picture of the clapper you posted above. I had saved a similar one on Pinterest a while back, and promptly took photos of my own tools to post on Pinterest when I couldn't find anything similar on the internet.