The Sewing Place

Bag lining fabric

poptart

Bag lining fabric
« on: January 30, 2018, 08:46:52 AM »
Hi Folks
I'm looking into bag making this year as a way of getting back into sewing after a hiatus. Thought I'd start with something simple, so I'm trying a backpack using waterproof canvas and some leftover tweed for the front. I'm wondering what to use for a lining. Everywhere I read up on the subject they say you can use pretty much anything, which doesn't really help! I want something hardwearing but pretty and not expensive, also easy to work with. Would a cheap poly cotton fabric do? Any suggestions?

SkoutSews

Re: Bag lining fabric
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 09:48:26 AM »
As long as it was substantial enough to take the wear and tear, I'm sure poly/cotton would do the job.  Do you have something in your offcuts that would do?   If not, are you near an Ikea?  They have reasonably priced cotton fabrics that you cut to your own length and then weigh, so you would have a choice of candidates!

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 10:00:21 AM »
I agree that poly cotton would be OK if you've got some in the stash.  If you have to buy new I'd suggest rip-stop nylon which is strong, lightweight and non-absorbent.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 10:08:53 AM »
I have used furnishing/curtain fabric. I happen to have a lot of leftover pieces but you can get really good remnants very cheaply.

Surest1tch

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 13:09:47 PM »
I don't make handbags but I've used heavy curtain lining to line the shopping bags I've made.

poptart

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 13:18:59 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for your useful suggestions. @BrendaP I'll check out rip-stop nylon, never heard of that one. @SkoutSews Damn, I was up at Ikea on Saturday and it never crossed my mind to look there. Oh, well. It gives me a good excuse to go again.  :)

Clareew

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 19:35:06 PM »
Shower curtains of the fabric type make very good bag linings.  They come in lots of patterns too.