The Sewing Place

What does clear elastic do?

sewingj

What does clear elastic do?
« on: January 31, 2018, 12:44:03 PM »
I`m making KwikSew 3754 for my daughter - view B

One of the final instructions is to sew  strips of clear elastic to the bottom of the bodice and the top of the skirt (either side of the waistband).

Is this really necessary?  I made the pattern years ago and sewing on the elastic was a pain especially as there are only quarter inch seam allowances.

lakaribane

Re: What does clear elastic do?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 13:24:24 PM »
Is it this Duro-style tunic?

I think the addition of the elastic is done to act like a stay: it will keep both the tight fit to the body through the midriff AND the stretchiness of the garment to pass it over your bust.

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 14:28:25 PM »
It's often used for stabilisation but with stretch.

Personally I wouldn't not add it. Every time I've skipped something that is part of stabilisation, the garment has failed.

sewingj

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 18:22:46 PM »
Thanks _ I suppose I`d better bite the bullet and do it then! 

Marniesews

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 22:14:55 PM »
Those of us who make dancewear sew a lot of elastic into seams, necklines and leg openings but many of us hate the clear stuff with a passion (me included). Instead I use flat rubber tape. It sews in much better and retains its stretch and softness very well. If you only want a small amount, it's probably not worth the bother of buying 10 metres (£3.50) but if you fancy trying it, I get mine from here.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.