The Sewing Place

Bernina Machines - not so popular?

rubywishes

Re: Bernina Machines - not so popular?
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2017, 08:14:42 AM »
I bought a Bernina 710 a couple of years ago and it now sits on my side cabinet in the sewing room and gets used as a second machine. I have replaced it with a Juki TL2010Q and I would throw myself out of a ten storey window before I would ever part with it.  The Bernina...with its BSR and dual feed...meh...make me an offer!

Servicing costs are the same as for other machines but not all sewing techs here are "qualified" to work on the series 7 and 8's so that can be a problem. I did need a circuit board replaced last year and I have had to put the machine in for fiddly little repairs like timing going out from time to time that have irritated the pants off me. The machine seems to tread a very fine line of "happy-to-sew-for-you today", and whether this is a common thing with most computerised machines or just mine I don't know...I don't have any sewing friends to compare machines with.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 08:22:40 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Marniesews

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2017, 16:32:31 PM »
The new overlockers are no longer made by Juki, which is a shame.  I believe it was something to do with cutting costs.
My coverstitch, Bernina L220, was the twin of the Juki MCS-1500 but has sadly been removed from the Bernina range and replaced by a Bernette coverstitch - their budget brand. The L220 is fabulous but if I had to replace it I'd go for Juki over a Bernette any day.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Sewbee

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2017, 16:36:44 PM »
I agree about Juki overlocker. I am not ready to buy one yet - about to furnish my new sewing room so I can set up my new Bernina sewing machine in there :) but whenever I am it will be Juki.

I wish I knew what Bernina is doing with their overlocker line! Jaguar makes them now and I've heard they are not as good as when Juki made them.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 19:13:37 PM by Sewbee »

Gernella

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2017, 15:57:36 PM »

I wish I knew what Bernina is doing with their overlocker line! Jaguar makes the, now and I've heard they are not as good as when Juki made them.

Interesting, didn't know that.  I've got an old coverstitch, the one before the new L220, and it is a cow to use, I could cheerfully chuck it out the window. Fortunately I also have the new Janome Coverstitch which is entirely the opposite.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Morgan

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2017, 17:22:27 PM »
I think the Japanese machines are just as good, if not better, and have a much more attractive price.  Bernina rely heavily on their reputation; historically their machines were Swiss manufactured and regarded as bombproof, but the majority are manufactured elsewhere now - whilst still charging the earth for them!
I'd go for a Juki any time. ;)

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto
Trading on past reputation and charging through the nose to do it.

There are just 2 older/vintage Bernina models I'd be interested in owning but having tried three different modern Berninas (1 electric and 2 high end computerised) last October, compared with the Janome and Juki machines I tried at the same time, I really could not find anything that could justify the fuss and definitely nothing that could explain the hike in cost.  I was pleased the Bernina's didn't stack up against the others I tried because my Bernina service centre would be a place in Manchester and the turnaround time and standard of service doesn't meet what I expect.  This is based on the experience of 2 friends who owned Berninas, one of whom sold off her Bernina 740 and now uses a computerised Pfaff.

My choices came down to Juki or Janome, both of which I find very intuitive to use.  In the end I chose the Janome because I can drive to the main Janome service centre at Stockport.  I have always had excellent help, advice and service from Peter and others at the service centre.

For a long, long time, I really rated the Bernina 1150MDA overlocker and still do, it's an excellent machine (and was made by Juki).
However, if I ever need to replace the BL Evolution I use currently, it will be with one of the Juki overlockers. 

Bernina machines are good, but there is an awful lot of hype.  A good dose of realism is healthy.
Any of the higher end machines across all the brands (except perhaps for 1) have a similar high level of performance.  Machines made by different brands do feel different to use and at that level, it's all about how the machine feels and responds under your fingers.  That's what matters more than the 'Brand' and the marketing hype.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 17:28:53 PM by Morgan »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2017, 17:49:47 PM »
I have yet to come across a Bernina sewing machine, apart from the old metal bodied ones, that I like at all.  I've tried many and don't find them at all user friendly.  Brother are probably the easiest to use.  If you can use one, you can probably upgrade and recognise buttons and functions on a higher spec machine.  With  Bernina  you have to learn a completely new machine.  But there is a huge amount of snobbery surrounding them.  Many people will ONLY buy them and won't even consider an alternative.  I find it highly amusing  :devil:  Some of the problems stem from sewing teachers who are telling students that a Bernina is a must.  But then I have known sewing teachers recommending Singers.  :o :o. Mmmmmmmmm

Gernella

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2017, 10:41:24 AM »

Bernina machines are good, but there is an awful lot of hype.  A good dose of realism is healthy.

After saying I would go for another Bernina, I have to admit that recently I was looking at a Juki.  Up to my niece buying one for her business a few years ago, I had never heard of them.  I was looking at this:

https://www.franknutt.co.uk/sewing-machines/used-sewing-machines/used-juki-hzl-f300

More than I would ever need but I got a 'fancy'.   Fortunately a large vet bill kiboshed that idea, that and the thought I might have to spend on a new laptop. :fish:
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Northern Lass

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2017, 17:37:20 PM »
 :o I’ve just gone and bought one! Buyers remorse already.... a 350 special edition. Please tell me I’m not mad.

fajita

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2017, 18:25:36 PM »
You're not mad. Welcome to the bernina club

Sewbee

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2017, 19:18:57 PM »
Nope! Not mad at all. I bought a 570qe a few months ago and just bought the 1150mda ex demo serger (only one I could find) last week!

Kenora

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2017, 21:29:22 PM »
I agree - not mad at all. When I went to buy my new machine I immediately told the dealer I didn't want a Bernina because I didn't like the look of them and I also didn't like the hype surrounding them. After trying almost every other machine in the shop - what did I come out with? Yup, you've guessed - a Bernina - and I haven't regretted it. I've used it almost every day for over a year and it hasn't put a foot wrong, whether dressmaking or P&Q.  :loveit:
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

arrow

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2017, 21:41:20 PM »
I guess there's always something that can be improved upon, but I still think Bernina is about as good as it gets. Don't mind the critics too much, the competition between brands comes off as carpet buying in Kairo; how ever nice the quality and good the price is, someone will tell you, you payed way too much for it ;- )

Marniesews

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2018, 14:39:49 PM »
… I still think Bernina is about as good as it gets... how ever nice the quality and good the price is, someone will tell you, you payed way too much for it ;- )
I wonder if you're thinking about new machines or vintage arrow? I'd certainly agree about their vintage, speaking as an owner (and regular user) of one 1020 & two 1130s but I am absolutely appalled by the cost of their range with dual feed to the extent I didn't even consider trying one when buying my Pfaff P5 five years ago.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

HarryR

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2018, 12:57:45 PM »
We have lots of Berninas here from the vintage 530 to the 820 and 760. We love them! Of course Pfaff are also excellent too...

arrow

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2018, 15:01:31 PM »
I wonder if you're thinking about new machines or vintage arrow? ...but I am absolutely appalled by the cost of their range with dual feed to the extent I didn't even consider trying one when buying my Pfaff P5 five years ago.

The price is the only thing that has prevented me from buying a new Bernina with the dual feed and stitch regulator. They just cost too much for the things I do with it, and there's always something I need and want to spend money on. After a test sewing in a shop a few years ago I went home, cleaned and oiled the old 730 Record and was rather surprised to notice how well in compared to new machines. Since then I noticed the old Singer 201 and it's my favorite for most type of work. I haven't considered bying a new machine since, but I have tried a few.