The Sewing Place

Anyone bought a Hip Curve Ruler?

ClareInStitches

Anyone bought a Hip Curve Ruler?
« on: March 12, 2017, 12:39:46 PM »
I am part way through a Craftsy Course with Suzy Furrer, drafting my own 'pants' sloper. I have a French Curve, but she prefers to use a Hip Curve as it has a more gentle arc.

I have trawled t'interweb and the usual drafting suppliers for sources in the uk, but they seem to be either tremendously expensive or come as part of a huge set of other bits. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Clare

Sewingsue

Re: Anyone bought a Hip Curve Ruler?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 12:49:20 PM »
Linda Lee on Fitting Solo uses one as well. Seems to be something they can get easily on t'other side of the pond.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

So Chic

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 12:53:39 PM »
I've had a Pikaby Fashion Ruler for years which I use for hip curves but I don't know if they are still available.  I also have a Morplan Pattern Master which I use a lot for altering patterns but they are quite expensive.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 08:46:57 AM »
@Clare: what does a hip curve look like?  I have a

Patternmaster

and a

French curve. 

Francesca

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 09:42:07 AM »
I have a "fashion curve" - lots of curvy edges.

But a "hip curve" will never look like the hip of anyone other than the size that all patterns are drafted for already. So good if you're making perfectly proportioned slopers. But beyond that, not worth it for me!

Lilian

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 20:43:48 PM »
I found this on ebay but looking at it you could probably buy a straight metal one and curve it to your own hip.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hip-Curve-Ruler-24-in-/331979087410
Willing but not always able :)

Jo

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 08:05:32 AM »
I have a variety of curves and use all of them more or less: the french curves for tighter curves, the hip curve for more gentle ones (funny enough, most of them not even in the hip area). If you pan on doing more pattern cutting it would be useful to invest in some. Other than that...you can free hand it using your wrist arc.
I bought mine locally but paid about 20 gbp for all of them.
Amazon seems to have a few too: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=french+curve

Sewingsue

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 08:21:24 AM »

Is the flexible curve worth having?
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Jo

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 08:24:45 AM »
I haven't used my flexible curve in like...wait, I'm actually not sure I've ever used it. It's faster to use the other ones than to adjust the flexible one.
A flexible ruler on the other hand, that I would buy :) Mine doesn't have a ruler and I find I would really need one to measure curves (armscye, necklines etc). At the moment I use my measuring tape, but it's a bit fiddly.

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 09:21:59 AM »
I use a French Curve all the time, and also some cheap, smaller curves.  Never felt the need for a hip curve though.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Holly Berry

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 13:33:09 PM »
I use the Pattrenmaster. It has a hip curve, arm Syce, right angle, grading ruler etc all in one tool. I got mine through Amazon from Fred Aldous and it cost about £10.
Procrastination get behind me

Kad

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 15:19:54 PM »
Mine came from Jaycotts and it's the same as the one that UttaRetch has. Useful for adding width/length, not used the curved side often though.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

JillH

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 16:25:25 PM »
I bought the Tailor and Designer curves from Lutterloh
The New Zealand site worked out cheaper than the European one though.
https://www.i-love-dressmaking.com/product/tailor-and-designer-curve-out-of-acryl/
https://www.dressmaking.co.nz/products

I also have various other curves including French curves-  all are useful in their own way.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 16:27:54 PM by JillH »
Jill -  trying to grow old disgracefully.

Sewingsue

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 19:15:32 PM »
I use the Pattrenmaster. It has a hip curve, arm Syce, right angle, grading ruler etc all in one tool. I got mine through Amazon from Fred Aldous and it cost about £10.
I wonder why the imperial is more expensive than the metric.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2017, 21:22:17 PM »
I have several curved rulers and use them all for one thing and another.  Don't actually have a hip curve but that hasn't been a problem.