The Sewing Place

Repairing a cut

b15erk

Repairing a cut
« on: February 01, 2018, 10:07:35 AM »
I've been asked to repair the dress DGD was wearing when she cut her leg.  The cut is just over 2" but not straight.

I would normally butt the edges of the fabric together, neatening any loose fibres, stabilise, and zig zag.

The dress is 100% cotton and quite a busy print, so should be easy enough, but I don't do many repairs, and it would be good to know if anyone has any better ideas?

I've attached a picture.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

Re: Repairing a cut
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 10:12:36 AM »
If I was doing it I'd use a piece of lightweight iron-on interfacing on the back.  Take care to get all the little jagged bits of fabric in the right place before fusing.  Then zig-zag or maybe triple zig-zag around all the raw edges and then a zig-zag around the whole lot and then trim away any excess interfacing.

I trust that Lilya is mending well.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 10:16:53 AM »
Thanks Brenda, she's doing well, but it's certainly knocked her for six. 

Yes, I think we are thinking along the same lines.  I may try a sample to see which zig zag looks best.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 10:21:14 AM »
That would be my plan as well Jessie.  Keep the cut edges as close together as possible but handle them as little as possible, if that makes sense.

I'd use some lightweight fusible underneath and then zig zag in a colour as close to the background as possible.

I trim stray threads off after seeing as you are less likely to pull things out of shape.

Then forget about it, even if you always notice it, other people wont.  It is as you say a busy print and the tear will get lost in it.

How is Lilya getting on?

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 10:26:28 AM »
Thanks EB, yes we seem to agree on the repair technique.  Fingers crossed the repair will blend in.

Lilya is doing OK, but she is off school until she's seen the doctor again, so probably back next week.  Because of where the cut is (back of the thigh), she is having difficulty, sitting, and going to the loo.  So, she is having to have her leg up quite a lot.  Atm she is amusing herself by writing hospital stories!

Jessie

Greybird

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 10:37:51 AM »
Hello Jessie. I have just done a similar repair in the way that the others have suggested, but I used paper backed Fusible Web (Hemline brand). It has a much longer lasting "glue". You cut a piece out and iron it on through the paper then peel off the paper and iron the same size patch on top using maybe a piece of cotton lawn or similar. I have found this lasts much longer through washing etc than interfacing.

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 10:42:38 AM »
Thanks GB, I have some fusible web, so I'll give this a try.  I'm intending to make samples to see which looks the best, so I'll give it a go.

It's a very pretty dress so I don't want to ruin it. 

Jessie

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 11:05:54 AM »
I suppose the cut is at the back which would negate my idea of a daisy applique over the area after mending it??
or you could applique several daisies on the dress (like you haven't enough to do) and one would just happen to cover the mended cut
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Roger

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 13:12:38 PM »
I had a similar thought to Imi, I sometimes hide kiddy mends under patch pockets that sort of thing...

I did have a friend who got fed up of patching kids jeans and hand buttonholed the edges in bright colours

Hope Lilya is mending well too!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Samantha

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 13:38:40 PM »
Just had a trawl through your posts to find out what happened to Lilya, poor thing! Hope she is ok now.

Sandra

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 09:02:02 AM »
I've only just spotted this.

Yes. Back the tear with something lightweight and darn. Easiest option. It's a busy enough print to lose the repair.

Or, as suggested, depending on where the damage is exactly, applique.

Or, if you want to completely lose the damage.... depending on the style of the skirt part, and the angle of the damage... I've seamed damage out before. Say from waist, down through the hem, and just run a seam straight through, completely losing the tear. You'd have to readjust any gathers at the waist.
Not always possible. It always depends on the style of the garment.

Sandra.
xxx

b15erk

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 09:30:25 AM »
Thank you all so much for your suggestions, I will do a couple of test runs, and then go for it!  I wouldn't be too fussy normally, but it's a favourite dress, and will be worn a few times over the summer I'm sure.

Lilya is feeling much better now, and will be itching to get to school to tell about her hospital adventures.  Very impressed with Wigan Infirmery I have to say.  DD was worried about the canula's etc going in - but the hospital had someone there to talk Lilya through it, so no tears.

Thank you all for being so concerned, she was a very lucky little girl - it could have been much worse!

Jessie

So Chic

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 10:17:18 AM »
Mending was discussed at my sewing club this week and the advice given was to use serpentine stitch rather than zig zag.  Hope this is of help to you.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 09:29:16 AM »
SoChic, sorry, I didn't read this before doing the repair!  I'm going to try it anyway for future reference.

What I did.  I practised on several scraps, to see which looked best, and would be most durable.  In the end, after much pressing and ironing on stabiliser, I decided to go with the three step zig zag.  I used a variegated pink embroidery thread, and narrowed the length and the width - but kept it wide enough to catch both sides of the tears (there turned out to be two).

I'm sure I could have done better, but I didn't want to unpick and try again as there was the danger of the edges deteriorating.

Jessie

Acorn

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 09:31:19 AM »
I had to look very hard to see that in the first picture!  Nice job.   :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.