The Sewing Place

How to lengthen a sleeve - properly

sewingj

How to lengthen a sleeve - properly
« on: February 01, 2018, 13:09:08 PM »
I am going to make Mccalls 7323 view c

https://www.sewessential.co.uk/misses-asymmetrical-seam-detail-tops-mccalls-pattern-7323?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrpOfiOOE2QIVCr7tCh0dHQsdEAQYASABEgJzlPD_BwE

but would like it to have 3/4 length sleeves. What is the best way to do this?  Please bear in mind I have NO experience of drafting patterns.

I thought I could use a sleeve from a different pattern but the sleeve head (is that the right term?) is a different shape so presumably wouldn`t fit into the arm hole correctly.  The existing short sleeve looks like it fits quite tightly to the upper arm - I think if I just made it longer the whole sleeve might be too tight.  I don`t even know how I would draw it so that the sleeve is symmetrical (come to think of it - I don`t even know if a sleeve is symmetrical!)

Any help would be much appreciated

Efemera

Re: How to lengthen a sleeve - properly
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 13:25:12 PM »
Simply extend the short sleeve....

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 13:37:22 PM »
That's what I would do too.

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 14:19:08 PM »
Use a hybrid sleeve - the sleeve head for the pattern you are making morphed into the lower part of an appropriate length sleeve from another pattern.
I frequently do this with pattern pieces to save drawing it myself (lazy).
Life's too short for ironing.

Lachica

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 15:04:00 PM »
Nice pattern, just my sort of top. I'm keen to see how yours turns out. As Uttaretch says, just lengthen the sleeve from its hem. Taper it in a bit (check the width at intervals to be sure it will go round your arms). I wouldn't suggest using a sleeve from another pattern, as you say, the sleeve head will most likely be a different shape so you will be making problems for yourself.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 15:25:11 PM »
I sometimes take the sleeve from another pattern and also copy the armhole from that pattern too - as long as the two patterns are similar types it works very well.

There is also no reason why you shouldn't widen the sleeve as you lengthen it - keep the top of the inside seam (the armpit) the same for an inch or so and widen from that point.  You can always take it in again later!

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

sewingj

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 15:30:43 PM »
Thanks everyone - I`ll get my tracing paper out and have a go

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 22:23:26 PM »
If you have a sleeve from a other pattern that fits you lay rhe two pattern with one on top of the other. Put. A Third piece of paper on top and draw around the sleeve head that you need and the rest of the sleeve from the one with the right length.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Sandra

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 08:52:42 AM »
I wanted to make a long sleeved top from my pattern which was for a short sleeved t-shirt.

I used the short sleeve pattern piece which came with the pattern, and I just did this....

This is quite a stretchy fabric, and I cut it generously so I could take the sleeve seam in to get it to fit my arm nicely if needed.

Sandra.
xxx