The Sewing Place

Stitch, cloth, Shimmer and Shine

Roger

Stitch, cloth, Shimmer and Shine
« on: February 01, 2018, 21:52:41 PM »
I’ve just been reading Stitch, cloth, Shimmer and Shine by Sarah Lawrence.

I was expecting more reading, but it’s heavy on pics with short explanations, enough to give you the idea and inspiration but not enough to become prescriptive. The pics are great samples, processes, and lustrous finished pieces!

I think all in all a very inspiring starting place for mixed media/artistic embellishment sewing. There are definitely parts in here I will use, especially some of the bold hand sewing, cord making and intriguing friendly plastic.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1844486273/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IF98SGOF6YBOE&colid=1ABTQ9TWMEGRZ&psc=0
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Sewingsue

Re: Stitch, cloth, Shimmer and Shine
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 22:23:37 PM »
I do not need another craft book
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 22:28:13 PM »
Are you sure?   :devil:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Roger

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 22:40:01 PM »

That’s my mantra for the night too!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Madame Cholet

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 23:21:29 PM »

Then I'd best not mention this book then:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bags-Paper-Stitch-Isobel-Hall/dp/0713490349/ref=pd_sim_14_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DR5QP38F92TRXXJWG9Z8#reader_0713490349
 ;)
(Pics of some stunning bags but no patterns or instructions - apart from how to reproduce the paper/fabrics used to create the bags - knowledge of bag making a prerequisite if you wish to actually construct the bags - but an absolute visual feast nevertheless - my copy is one of my fave ever charity shop buys, if only for inspiration alone).

@Roger - thanks for posting the link - I just peeked inside the sample pages displayed on Amazon, and... just wow, amazing stuff!
Stitch, Cloth, Shimmer and Shine has just now been placed onto my Amazon wish list!  0_0

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 23:23:40 PM »
Let's be honest, need doesn't come into it… very tempted. Got to be some good costume embellishment ideas in there.

If I get it now I can look for lovely threads & stuff at the Knitting & Stitching Show next month with a few ideas in mind. 

Thanks Roger - feeling happily enabled  ;) :D… and, a quick peek at that bag book next!
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Roger

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 00:34:14 AM »
Not all the ideas in this book are very easy to rework into clothing... because some of it is about gilding fabrics and accessories or using heat melting friendly plastics... so I’m not sure all the techniques would survive the washing machine...

But in belly dancing the more extravagant the costume the less likely it is to be washed, there are other freshening techniques like airing, steaming, spritzing with vodka mist... but some of the effects would be glorious on very impractical clothes.

Marniesews

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 08:47:55 AM »
But in belly dancing the more extravagant the costume the less likely it is to be washed…
It's the same for ballroom dresses. Spot cleaning and vodka are life savers as they're too big to go in the freezer (a useful option for shoes). Larin dresses can often be hand washed as there are often fewer mixtures of different fabrics & infrastructure involved as well as sheer scale.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Roger

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 08:50:51 AM »
Glad to hear it’s not just grubby belly dancers who don’t wash their clothes :)

I hadn’t considered the merits of freezing:)

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 09:24:37 AM »
Stop tempting me with books.  Both of those links had even more suggestions under th main one.

I do not need any more craft books :ninja:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.