The Sewing Place

Starting a Sweater

Vegegrow

Re: Starting a Sweater
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 21:13:12 PM »
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Ploshkin

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 09:19:16 AM »
Well, the sweater is still on the go.  I pick it up and do a couple of rounds every so often and I've completed the body at last.  It should go a lot quicker with the sleeves.  I like the fact that I can try it on and there will be no sewing up at the end.
Now, can anyone advise here.  The bottom of the edge is finished with a couple of rows of garter stitch (as are the neck and sleeves).  I just know that the bottom edge will curl up.  Any tips for preventing this.  The only thing I can think is to change to a size smaller needle so that it is,a little bit tighter than the stocking stitch  but I don't know.
Life's too short for ironing.

hernibs

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 10:05:20 AM »
Ploshkin - yes the bottom edge will curl up and that is precisely what it is supposed to do!  If you don't like the look you could change to K1 P1 rib and smaller needles.  Does the neck edge curl up? (Editing to say that I see it does). That may look ok there. For me, a dyed in the wool traditionalist as far as knitting is concerned a 'proper' rib is the real McCoy.  It's 'elastic' and hard wearing.
I have been, like you, struggling on with a sweater I am knitting, it's 4 ply, it is the complimentary yarn I got from Designer Yarns when I politely complained about Debbie Bliss Fine Donegal.....I didn't have enough for a long sleeved sweater so bought some contrasting yarn and did the front in alternate stripes.  I find 4ply a tad slow to work with but, like you, I've been plodding on.  Watching tennis helped!  Back and front now complete and the 2 cuffs for the sleeves are knit all at once, have precisely 8 grams of contrast yarn for each sleeve as will put some contrast stripes just above the cuffs to use it up.
Anyhow P, yes, the edge will curl up and if you are ok with that go ahead....sounds like you aren't.  If you now change to ribbing it may not look quite as trendy....and will take more yarn of course.  Just my 2 cents...I'm an oldie.

Maximum

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2017, 12:22:23 PM »
I agree the bottom edge will roll up but it seems to be "the" look, these days. I have seen on RTW the cast off edge turned under and caught about 2 rows or so up, like a hem but I think those last few rows would need to be on smaller needles or decreased or the bottom will flare.
Those patterns fascinate me so I might be tempted to have a go at something small. My main stumbling block are the videos! In trying to watch the pattern formation I find myself mesmerised by the way they knit.

Catllar

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2017, 13:58:36 PM »
Looks good P. Is this Magic loop just knitting on a circular needle then? I like the look of the pattern but it's totally impossible to knit here at this time of the year, so that is my excuse and I'm sticking to it!  If you go with the two rows of garter stitch I wouldn't size down - you'll lose quite a bit of size and it'll make it tight.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 14:00:16 PM by Catllar »
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Ploshkin

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2017, 16:02:53 PM »
The jury's still out on the bottom finish.  There are some increases in the sides of the body so it is slightly A shaped.  The good thing about knitting top down and in the round on a cable is that I can try it on whilst still on the needles.
I have got a very nice, stable crochet finish on an edge to edge cardigan that I knitted and I might try that after casting off the garter stitch to stop it curling.  I thought I would try a couple of samples of different things to see what they do.
At least, finishing off at the bottom, it is only a couple of rows to unpick and re knit if it's not right.
Life's too short for ironing.