The Sewing Place

Bernina Ross on Wye eBay

Roger

Bernina Ross on Wye eBay
« on: February 03, 2018, 20:31:36 PM »
Looks like a nice bernina- not functional (no explanation) and collection only. Fair few parts and of course the machine so if it’s isnt thread caught in the race (usual non functioning fault I find on Berninas) then it’s probably good for parts.

Bernina Sewing Machine https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F232649748973
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Madame Cholet

Re: Bernina Ross on Wye eBay
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 22:07:50 PM »
If I lived closer I would love that machine to play with!  :ninja:  :vintage:

The 800 series Berninas with 'electronic' written on the side have an electronic circuit board in the foot pedal, which I understand can cause the machine to fail. Or perhaps the nylon camstack gear is at fault?? I'm intrigued by the bobbin sat forlornly on the bobbin winder peg... so perhaps it may well be a thread/race issue? Or maybe a person in the past set the clutch to wind the bobbin, and left it like that, so now the machine doesn't sew... maybe one of the belts has slipped or deteriorated and snapped.... maybe the fuse in the plug has blown... maybe it is unloved and has seized solid...

AAAARGH Roger! I want to know why it's not working now.. !

... btw although this is not an 830 I shall mention something Bernina-related here as it is rather traumatising news that I feel the need to share  :'(
Well until recently I had never heard of one of the nylon vertical gears cracking, but I read on the Vintage Bernina FB group this week a post by a Bernina tech who had recently encountered four 830 machines all with nylon vertical gears that needed replacing. He says they were all 1975 830's, (ie with serial numbers beginning with 15xxxxxx).
 :o

Roger

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 22:32:26 PM »
It is a sad little machine, it looks loved but sad... it’s always odd getting/seeing an old machine when they’re stopped mid operation. Like a frozen point.

I have to agree a mystery ‘not working’ is always intriguing... a sort of gauntlet thrown down :)

Thanks for mentioning the vertical cams on the 830, that is good to know, and definitely a sad discovery!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

LeilaMay

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 08:25:46 AM »
I'm probably close enough to pick this up i someone really wants it?
lovely river drive, the Wye valley  :)

Madame Cholet

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 16:33:57 PM »
It sold for £48.00. If someone from here purchased it please let us know why it wasn't working!  :P

Roger

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 16:39:50 PM »
Wasn’t me! Reckon they got a decent bargain there :)

LeilaMay

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 16:42:27 PM »
Wasn't me either :)