'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Fairy Finking- wedding dress for a friend
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2018, 19:54:55 PM »
That's super, very different with the black lace  0_0

Sewingforfun

« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2018, 22:49:38 PM »
WoW! That is really stunning. Can't wait to see the front, too.
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.

DementedFairy

« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2018, 21:42:37 PM »
Well I put off sewing the lace on for as long as possible, but it WAS going to be collected tomorrow [now delayed] so eventually I had to crack on
Getting all the lace sewn on around the neckline/shoulders took hours.  And as I sewed the last bit on one shoulder strap, I found that the ruddy illusion mesh had crumpled out of shape and half of it had to be very carefully unpicked and re positioned.  Gah.  I finished that off the next day, with much swearing and sore fingers
The next day [I procrastinate VERY well when I want to] I sewed the lace onto the bodice front and back, including doing a transition from 'through all layers' to 'through the tulle layers only'.  Gah
The NEXT day [today] I slogged on, and got the three large motifs positioned and attached to the train.  To give you an idea, I thread 10 needles at a time, and cut and wax about 30 threads at a time.  Each motif used about 15 needles' worth of thread.  Gah.  Ick.  Aargh.
My fingers are now too sore to sew any more today, so I will plod on and hopefully finish the lace stitching tomorrow- 2 large motifs on the bum, and a few partial ones around the waist/hips to hide the dodgy tulle layering!
The 'final' part will be inserting the lining, a simple job as it's already assembled, then it will be ready for the final visit from the bride, to trim any errant tulle, and fix the bustle points

Whose bloody idea was this? :S
C'est moi!

BrendaP

« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2018, 21:53:37 PM »
It's going to look fantastic.   0_0
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

DementedFairy

« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2018, 14:39:34 PM »
Done!  Gone, out of the house, blah blah.  She's lost weight after  about of food poisoning and they were all twittering about taking it in.  I pointed out that would mean taking half the lace off again to do it properly, AND that she'll no doubt put at least some of the weight back on in a month and a half...so we left it.  I had to faff for a while trimming off even more tulle [horrible stuff- I got the length more or less right, and told them that if they want perfection they can lay it out on a table and play with nail scissors.  It looks great on her [I think] and they all did the requisite cooing
I sorted the bustle points eventually- two ribbon ties inside, and one loop and button at CB seemed to do the trick...just as well after about a dozen safety pins buckled under the weight!
Teaser pics?  Oh alright then.  Full blog posts after the do of course, which is end of July

And just so you can appreciate te amount of handstitching those lace appliques took, here's the inside before the lining went in!

Sandra

« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2018, 14:58:58 PM »
Beautiful work.  <3
I can imagine your heart sinking at the mention of it being taken in  :o  UGH!
Yes. She's sure to put some of the weight back on.

Sandra.
xxx

UttaRetch

« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2018, 15:59:35 PM »
Great work @DementedFairy, BUT I would say no to the next person.  Look forward to seeing more of the dress.

Sewingsue

« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2018, 16:29:20 PM »
I know they paid for the fabric etc, but they would have a shock if they knew the cost of the hours you put in.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

maliw

« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2018, 17:04:46 PM »
A big 'well done' DF not just for all your hard work and expertise but for keeping your cool. I dread to think what the dress would have cost if the bride had had to go and buy it, but there again she couldn't because its a one off.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2018, 18:19:35 PM »
That looks absolutely amazing, you are very clever  0_0  Look forward to seeing more pics.

Ploshkin

« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2018, 18:27:05 PM »
Teaser pics indeed. Looking forward to seeing it properly.
Life's too short for ironing.

Tamnymore

« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2018, 18:36:27 PM »
Fantastic DF and doesn't look too big at all.

DementedFairy

« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2018, 18:48:16 PM »
Thanks guys- it's  a nice blend of her original inspiration pics and the very pricey one we saw in the shop [which she would still have had to pay to be altered to fit of course]

The most that could be pinched out of the waist [if I was prepared to do it, hell no] would be an inch.  I told her that once the lace is on, it's done...iof they want a different answer they're welcome to take it elsewhere to be altered.  I'm done!
C'est moi!

Tamnymore

« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2018, 19:32:41 PM »
A few pie suppers between now and the wedding and that spare inch will soon disappear!