The Sewing Place

Burda patterns - good or bad?

Bobbinalong

Re: Burda patterns - good or bad?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 11:55:44 AM »
I like Burda, I like their consistency of sizing. The magazine has a full body measurements chart so you can see at a glance  if you are going to need a short nape to waist or shoulder to bust point adjustment, for example.  I trace directly from the sheets using Burda tracing paper and a fine point pencil and as long as the light is good enough have no problem, I also refer to the pattern layout in the magazine when tracing as this helps with adding balance notches and seam numbers which are the things that can get a bit lost amongst all the lines.  The instructions can be brief to the point of incomprehension but that is very rare, I have only once been completely stumped - that was with a fly front opening skirt that had no waistband, I just could not figure out how to neaten the top of the zip.  Personally I would rather have to think about the instructions and construction a bit more and maybe refer to a sewing manual than to have to deal with the sizing vagaries of the Big 4. 

Fiona M

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 20:05:58 PM »
The ones I am looking at are paper patterns.  They are for my daughter who is very much plus-size and Burda seem to have more choice than others - but I can`t say your comments are filling me with confidence!
The only Burda pattern I’ve sewn was a Burda Plus tunic, it turned out nicely, but I did find it very roomy in terms of fit, so do examine the size carefully.

lakaribane

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 13:05:19 PM »
The instructions can be brief to the point of incomprehension but that is very rare, I have only once been completely stumped - that was with a fly front opening skirt that had no waistband, I just could not figure out how to neaten the top of the zip.

Me too! OMG I hope it's not the same skirt, LOL! But one of my most frustrating UFOs was *precisely* a no-waistband fly-front skirt from Burda in natural linen!!! I really need to figure it out and finally make my mother that skirt!

Bobbinalong

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 15:08:31 PM »
Ha ha! I wonder if it was the same one!  For me that skirt was a long time ago, I probably still have it in the UFO pile in case I want to use the fabric for something else.  I think I remember seeing an explanation from someone somewhere though on how to do it but I didn't bother as I'd used unsuitable fabric anyway - a crisp cotton poplin for a skirt with pleats.

Manuela

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 11:27:45 AM »
I'm firmly in the pro Burda camp. I like the fit as well as the style, the instructions are another story though. They are fine (not brilliant) in the German version of the magazine, but I have the sneaky suspicion that they are translated either directly from German into English or by some intern....

UttaRetch

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 13:37:25 PM »
Are they any better in the native German?  0_0  0_0

toileandtrouble

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 16:11:09 PM »
" a no-waistband fly-front skirt from Burda"
Did it have a lining? I would use something like a waist stay inside the top of the skirt and button the top of the fly facing onto the other side. (I've probably imagined the whole skirt wrong, but that should work.)
I like Burda because the fit is more 'me', but only  used the paper patterns so far.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

So Chic

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2018, 10:17:26 AM »
I only like Burda for trousers as they seem to fit better than any of the Big 4 but I haven't tried any of the indie trousers patterns. 
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Mozzy

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2018, 12:09:41 PM »
Yes I like Burda for trousers too, I have a couple of patterns.  I have also got a Burda dress pattern to cut out; I was going to make it to wear over Christmas so I might leave it for now and start thinking about clothes for the warmer weather.

lakaribane

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2018, 13:17:30 PM »
I would use something like a waist stay inside the top of the skirt and button the top of the fly facing onto the other side.

Well, that one ended as a UFO that died in the earthquake :[

Since then, my mother purchased a pair of trousers with the same, no-waistband, fly-front style that I plan to study before I try this skirt again. IIRC, Burda also came out with another similar trouser pattern so I might study that one too. With age and wisdom, maybe it will make more sense.

Totally with you on the inside-button device, though...