The Sewing Place

Dress from Butterick 6143 ...

UttaRetch

Dress from Butterick 6143 ...
« on: February 06, 2018, 15:04:13 PM »
finally FINISHED.

It's not the dress I started out to make and I had no idea it was so long.  The bodice is still too long despite shortening, and the back is blousey.  It has already gone to a charity shop and I am pondering my future in sewing yet again.  0_0

Acorn

Re: Dress from Butterick 6143 ...
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 15:09:54 PM »
Well someone's going to be absolutely delighted with what they find!

As for your future in sewing... your rejects are better than some people's successes!   :P
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 15:13:36 PM »
 0_0Hooray, it's finished and gone!

You had to complete it before you could move on, I think it looked fab BTW.

You've no WIPs now, I think you want to carry on as you're always looking at patterns.

Pick something not too challenging and have another go, we'll all be cheering you on.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 15:15:36 PM »
UR, that's lovely!  Even if you don't like it now, it gave you pleasure to make it, and that is worth a lot.  Also, you will have learned from it.

As Acorn says, someone will have a beautiful, unique dress.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Sewingsue

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 16:15:40 PM »
Plus it helps those of us who assume that everyone else produces garments that fit every time, no problems, no redoing, to realise that it ain't necessarily so.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Samantha

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 16:16:53 PM »
Very nice!! I can't believe you didn't keep it!  Someone is going to be very lucky.

lakaribane

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 16:30:19 PM »
 :toast: :toast: :toast:

Bravo! Youpi! I'm so proud!

Ravingdoll

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 18:47:10 PM »
What are we going to do with you UR?  The only thing wrong with your dress is that you don’t see what we do.  With that fabric (which is lovely) any minor imperfections are hidden anyway.  That’s my rule when making something usually, first time in busy, second plain if I like it! 

I am going to put my muv voice on now though so be warned!  :D. Although I don’t brandish a tape measure nearly as formidably as she does you’ll be pleased to hear.  You shouldn’t have been surprised at the length of the dress you know.  Measurements and tape measures!  Read back of envelopes!  Make some really simple tops/bodices/skirts etc and even if you don’t wear them, instead of giving them away alter to how you would want them to be, even if that actually renders them unwearable and use them as a matrix against future makes.  If you make something that fits you perfectly across the shoulders for example and you put a new pattern piece against it and it is significantly wider chances are it’s going to be too big so you can alter it at that stage.  Going back to length, a couple of years back I put on a pair of old opaque black tights with band at natural waist and muv sewed in tailor tacks from every inch and centimetre down from 26inches to ankle length whilst I was wearing them  so when I see the finished measurement I know where it is going to end. 

I think you do want to carry on sewing otherwise you wouldn’t be on here so I honestly think you need to go back to some basic garment sewing and get the fit right, and then you’ll be ready to move on. 

Lecture over!!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 18:54:09 PM by Ravingdoll »

lakaribane

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 20:08:25 PM »
That’s my rule when making something usually, first time in busy, second plain if I like it! 

I'm going to borrow this, if you don't mind.

(And I agree 100% with everything you said!)

Lachica

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 20:19:46 PM »
It looks lovely. You could have shortened it! The shoulders, collar, bust look fine. It'll be snapped up in the charity shop.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Greybird

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 20:26:37 PM »
It looks lovely on you. I second everything RD said. You have never struck me as a quitter (if you don't mind me saying so!) and prctice makes perfect - eventually. I look forward to seeing the next one!

Tamnymore

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 20:36:26 PM »
Oh 'eck RD is channelling muv (hides behind sofa). But muv and minimuv  :D are absolutely right about the tape measure and measurements. I suspect that shortening it slightly, shortening the sleeves a couple of inches and taking in a little fullness at the back would have made it pretty damn near perfick (though it actually looks perfick to me already).

The dress looks fab on you @UttaRetch and seems to fit really well and is so nicely made  <3 OK you didn't like it so some other lucky person will get it but if you can look as amazing as that in something you've made then you shouldn't stop now.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

UttaRetch

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 20:43:24 PM »
Thank you all for the kind words.  I can and have done better.  The original intention was to make a late Summer/Autumn shirtdress from a pattern I had already used.  However, the fabric and misguided use of a coat pattern did for me and the dress.

At the moment, I need a small wardrobe and a warm, stylish jacket is uttermost.  I thought I had found the perfect pattern in

but it's unlined.

Vegegrow

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 20:46:15 PM »
Utta you do have the most fabulous taste in fabric.. love this one and I'm sorry it was wasted in something you wouldn't wear.. well done for finishing it. as others have said something simple next as a trial for some of those beautiful bits of vintage fabric you have stored.. they need to be used   :* :loveit:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Ravingdoll

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 20:48:19 PM »
So line it dear UttaRetch! 
Haha @Tamnymore ‘minimuv’!! Love it. Just wait till I share that one with my brothers!  0_0