The Sewing Place

Small bust adjustment - suitable pattern?

sewingj

Small bust adjustment - suitable pattern?
« on: February 06, 2018, 20:20:12 PM »
I`ve decided I`ve got to master a small bust adjustment and have been looking for a suitable pattern to play with.  All the tutorials feature patterns with darts so I`ve found this:-
https://www.sewessential.co.uk/misses-shirts-new-look-sewing-pattern-6407

Otherwise this one but it doesn`t have bust darts:
https://www.sewessential.co.uk/misses-tops-new-look-sewing-pattern-6598

I`m prepared to put in some time to master this so which would be best?

Francesca

Re: Small bust adjustment - suitable pattern?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 21:12:04 PM »
Should be find on either.

Technically, both these patterns have a "waist dart". It just so happens that the waist dart extends to the hem.

I would recommend on either pattern that you should slash all pattern pieces at the waist adjustment line horizontally across so you're just working on the above the waist section. When you're done with your SBA, you can attach the below-the-waist piece back on. You'll have to smooth it out a bit as your top will be smaller, so might need to draw a nice curve at the side.

If you'd prefer to work with just one dart, still do as above but swing the waist dart to add it to the side. Then you can work on your SBA with a side dart before swinging half of it back out to the waist.

Or, as you're doing an SBA just use the second pattern listed and keep just the waist dart. I usually have to go for two darts because I have to do a large FBA and it needs balancing, but with a small bust you will get away with just the waist dart.

sewingj

Re: Small bust adjustment - suitable pattern?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 09:28:29 AM »
Thanks Fran - that`s really helpful.  I do have a discount code for New Look so I might send for them both and see how I get on.
I`ve found a couple of good tutorials but no doubt I will be back  here if I get stuck!