The Sewing Place

Just arrived

femmes1900

Just arrived
« on: February 07, 2018, 17:37:32 PM »
Good morning

First of all, sincere congratulations for your high-quality work.
For my part, I’ve been collecting for a couple of years magazines and old sewing patterns , more particularly The Illustrated Fashion from 1873 till 1920.
I began a long work of preservation, but also sharing by scanning a part of my collection: later I wish to digitize all the collection.
I chose to present this work under the shape of an online shop . The symbolic price of the downloads which have not other purpose than to allow me to pay off a little, if possible, the costs of digitalization.
I suggest you that I inform regularly of the progression of my work.
Thank you for your welcome.
Very cordially
femmes1900
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 08:31:34 AM by Iminei »

maliw

Re: Just arrived
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 11:30:39 AM »
Hello and welcome, hope you enjoy the forum. :flower:
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Pearl

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 12:44:13 PM »
Bienvenue, Femmes1900!  I look forward to seeing your work.   :)

arrow

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 13:57:28 PM »
Welcome, it sounds like a lot of fun. I don't know much about clothing, but I can imagine a lot of art nouveau swirls in the magazines and prints. A few years ago I watched a TV show with a team restoring some of Queen Maud's dresses, they were literally silk rags, but some how they managed to restore and reweave the fabric. I remember I was very impressed, ti took years and now they are on display in a museum I think. 

poptart

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 09:15:44 AM »
Welcome! :D

Surest1tch

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 19:08:00 PM »
Hello and welcome from me  :D

Nevis5

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 08:58:00 AM »
and from me too :)

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 10:02:21 AM »
  Welcome to the forum.

Welcome, it sounds like a lot of fun. I don't know much about clothing, but I can imagine a lot of art nouveau swirls in the magazines and prints. A few years ago I watched a TV show with a team restoring some of Queen Maud's dresses, they were literally silk rags, but some how they managed to restore and reweave the fabric. I remember I was very impressed, ti took years and now they are on display in a museum I think.

magazines and old sewing patterns , more particularly The Illustrated Fashion from 1873 till 1920.

Those dates are a bit early for Art Deco which was late 1920s and 1930s.  It will be late Victorian, Arts & Crafts, Art Nouveau and early modernism eras.  Fashionwise that means bustle skirts gradually giving way to the more practical fashions of the 20th century with skirts rising to mid calf level.  There will be big sleeves and maybe the very big hats tied down with a long scarf.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

justpottering

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 10:16:50 AM »
Welcome to the sewing place, I love reading about and looking at fashions from that era, in another life I would like to make reproductions of such I once thought of buying dolls and making them to fit and display but alas time does not allow such indulgence and its difficult to find dolls that look like women rather than children

I look forward to hearing more about your project  :)
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

sewmuchmore

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 19:19:13 PM »
Love your web site and welcome to the Sewing Place
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

arrow

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 19:00:35 PM »

magazines and old sewing patterns , more particularly The Illustrated Fashion from 1873 till 1920.

Those dates are a bit early for Art Deco which was late 1920s and 1930s.  It will be late Victorian, Arts & Crafts, Art Nouveau and early modernism eras.  Fashionwise that means bustle skirts gradually giving way to the more practical fashions of the 20th century with skirts rising to mid calf level.  There will be big sleeves and maybe the very big hats tied down with a long scarf.

I'm not sure if I understand you right. I didn't mention art deco, but some particular dresses like this and these. They all date from around 1896 to 1938. I'm messing up the welcome thread, but it's intersting how what we think of as Art Deco today, is very much a continuous simplification of the earlier art nouveau forms of the previous decades. They are very fancy dresses, and the impressive part in this case was just as much the restoration process. In museums we usually see the clothes of famous  people, regal and state officials and uniforms. We hardly ever see what people wore in the street. The closest I have come is Caillebot's Paris and maybe work from a few other painters.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 19:06:04 PM by arrow »