The Sewing Place

Bernina 1001 not working

Madame Cholet

Re: Bernina 1001 not working
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 13:02:48 PM »
Bambers have them listed on their website:
(£80.40)

http://www.bambersew.com/bernina-foot-control-1064-p.asp

They're usually very helpful on the phone.
0161 707 7786 is their number.
I don't know if they would attempt repair on the existing pedal but you could ask I suppose.
 :)

HarryR

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2018, 12:17:34 PM »
From memory the 1001 has a brushless AC motor, so no carbon brushes to check. As far as capacitors going in foot controls, it's usually the old line filter capacitors (filter out unwanted radio frequencies) that go, and they are not found in your model foot control. Also, when they do go, the machine usually runs flat out rather than not at all. If you're concerned about wiring you can check continuity with a multimeter. I'd be swapping out the foot control and if that fails, swap out the l-print (power print). Might be a job for a tech.

Sandra

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2018, 12:22:41 PM »
I've just got back home from dropping my machine in to the repair shop.

He didn't make any comment about what he thought the problem might be and I didn't ask. He said it should be ready to collect next Saturday if I don't hear from him before then.

I recognised the man as being the same one who sold me the machine 22 years ago  0_0

Sandra.
xxx

Madame Cholet

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2018, 15:15:50 PM »
@Sandra - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!  :)

From memory the 1001 has a brushless AC motor, so no carbon brushes to check. As far as capacitors going in foot controls, it's usually the old line filter capacitors (filter out unwanted radio frequencies) that go, and they are not found in your model foot control. Also, when they do go, the machine usually runs flat out rather than not at all. If you're concerned about wiring you can check continuity with a multimeter. I'd be swapping out the foot control and if that fails, swap out the l-print (power print). Might be a job for a tech.

@HarryR - this has nothing to do with Sandra's 1001 (... sorry Sandra!) - but do the 930 motors have brushes?
I ask because I sent my new-to-me 930 for a service just over a year ago, and the tech left the 'check motor brushes' box unticked on the service and repair checklist/receipt, which I only recently noticed, and I've been wondering why...  thanks!  :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 17:26:30 PM by Madame Cholet »

Sandra

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 12:42:20 PM »
I've had a phone call from the repair shop this morning...good service!

It needs a new pedal...£83. I expected as much, but he said it's worth getting done, and I could collect tomorrow. He mentioned that the machine has had a lot of use and that's why it's broken.

I'll probably wait until Friday and my brother will be able to take me when he next visits.

Sandra.
xxx

b15erk

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 13:21:38 PM »
Excellent service Sandra!

Looks like your Bernina will be clocking up the sewing miles again very shortly.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

HarryR

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 03:00:13 AM »
@Sandra - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!  :)

@HarryR - this has nothing to do with Sandra's 1001 (... sorry Sandra!) - but do the 930 motors have brushes?
I ask because I sent my new-to-me 930 for a service just over a year ago, and the tech left the 'check motor brushes' box unticked on the service and repair checklist/receipt, which I only recently noticed, and I've been wondering why...  thanks!  :)

The 910 has brushes, and as the 930 is very similar I would think it too has brushes. I will check next time I get my hands on one. If you're not afraid of taking the covers off you can check for yourself. I can let you know how to access it if you like? Cheers.

HarryR

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 03:01:56 AM »
Glad to hear it's a simple fix Sandra. You would have been up for a bit had it been the power print!

Roger

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2018, 17:35:29 PM »
I alway check the power point after my father had terrible trouble with his laptop cable ordered a new one and found the same fault... the plug sockets in the room were all out after he put a duff iron on...

But I’m glad to hear that your machine is fine and ready to go again soon!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Barnyard

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2018, 21:21:59 PM »
Ask your repair guy to give you the old pedal back. All of the parts are worth keeping hold of. If my fuddled memory serves me right the control unit works on 2 carbon tracks that provide the resistance and current flow to the motor. These do eventually wear out as do the contact brushes. If it is the track(s) that is worn it can be fettled by carefully removing a small part of the track and realigning it to a new part of unworn track. It sounds complex but it isn't. The Nova 900 has the same system I beleive and I have repaired a few of these and saved a packet on not buying new foot controllers.

Barny

Marniesews

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2018, 21:54:00 PM »
That's a thought, why don't you put up some photos of your foot pedal?

Quite a few multiple Bernina owners here or we may see them for sale.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Sandra

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2018, 07:54:19 AM »
Ooh... :[
Only just seen this, and it's a bit too late now. Yes. I should have asked for the old pedal back..  :(

I never gave it a thought when I collected the machine.

Sandra.
xxx

Marniesews

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2018, 15:48:42 PM »
@Sandra - If you search Google Images for 'Bernina foot pedal' I bet you'll find it, so many go for sale online these days it's probably there somewhere.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.