The Sewing Place

PDF printing..

Efemera

PDF printing..
« on: March 02, 2018, 17:31:57 PM »
Anyone sick of sticking stuff together, I’ve not used them so can’t give a review.
http://patternsy.weebly.com/upload.html

DementedFairy

Re: PDF printing..
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 17:38:35 PM »
I found a company in Brum that does it, good prices.  I still often get impatient though and just print on A4!
C'est moi!

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 19:25:43 PM »
Looks good. Wonder if it works out cheaper than printyourpattern. I do like them though because their customer service is fab (I once ordered and sent them an email about 4pm saying please could they print and post ASAP because I was going on holiday and wanted the pattern, and it was literally in my hands the following day with a handwritten note telling me to enjoy my holiday!)

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 19:27:11 PM »
@Efemera: thanks, but the pdf would have to be cheap in the first place for me to justify the cost of this service.  I am certainly not paying some of the prices I have seen for pdfs plus the cost of printing and delivery.  If I want to spend £15 plus, I'll buy a Vogue.  0_0

Helen M

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 21:03:26 PM »
Thanks for this, I like the sound of the lightweight paper Patternsy say they use. I got some 'bank' paper which is 50gms but it can stick in the printer unless you print only 1 or 2 pages at at time which is somewhat time consuming to say the least........ It creases if you just set it to print the whole lot as well.

I may give it a try.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

lakaribane

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 12:38:04 PM »
By any chance, does anyone know of a similar service in Canada? My Sewing Aunt lives and Montreal and is just now trying PDFs but does not like the taping either! Thanks in advance!

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 13:03:31 PM »
I got  The Sewing Place's Cjhallenge Royale

TSPCR

printed at our local print shop for a fiver which I thought was worth it, but then have scaled and tiled (thank you @StitchinTime ) it to print off om PP paper but its good to have a master for an overall view.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Francesca

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 13:15:25 PM »
@lakaribane Cashmerette did a good blog writeup of available PDF printing places worldwide: https://blog.cashmerette.com/2017/06/how-to-print-pdf-copyshop-files-cheaply.html I wonder if any of the US places post to Canada.

lakaribane

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 13:50:58 PM »
Cashmerette did a good blog writeup

Thank you for this. I both wrote to the US company she recommended AND found 1 Single Company in Montreal and wrote to them, attaching an SBCC pattern as an example.

I will update with the information I find. Stay tuned!

lakaribane

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 14:07:40 PM »
 Ok, got a super quick reply from PDFplotting.com in the US:

Good morning:

We do not ship to Canada.  We only ship within the US due to excessive shipping fees, Customs, etc... .  However, I've heard from several customers that have P/O Boxes within the US that we have shipped to in the past, and then they go pick up their mail.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me.

ETA: I asked for a quote for my SBCC pattern too so will post that information asap.

ETAA: did not get a quote but the same info posted on the site so I guess the price as shown there. It was a cut and paste text, a bit annoying but there you go!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 14:23:15 PM by lakaribane »

Francesca

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 14:50:04 PM »
@lakaribane Royal Mail postage to Haiti is only £3.75 for their economy service (untracked, one week, value up to £20). I get my patterns printed for £6.50 from PrintYourPattern who have fab customer service and send with Royal Mail. Give them an email and ask. If they say no, I could always order to my house and then send them on to you no issue. They come packed in a brown envelope so unlikely to incur custom charges.

lakaribane

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 17:21:34 PM »
I could always order to my house and then send them on to you no issue.

That is so kind of you! Thank you so much! But I'm really looking for the info for my Sewing Aunt in Montreal.

But, rest assured, if I ever need some UK thing, we can work out a trade.

mudcat

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 19:29:41 PM »
I've been meaning to order from PDF Plotting.  So I just did seven patterns (including Papercut Sapporo jacket) with a total of 11 pages of various sizes for $27.21/£19.64 including postage and tax. I placed my order at 11:22am and they just sent notification with a priority mail tracking number at 12:11pm. Less than an hour turnaround.  I'm impressed.  The prices seemed quite reasonable. 

I wanted to do some of my Tessuti patterns but sadly I didn't download the copy shop versions for most of them. I wish Tessuti would put them all in one file.  The one I had was four separate files and confusing because three were labeled as A0 and one as A1.  I wasn't sure if that was an error or not. 

lakaribane

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 12:51:35 PM »
So, as promised, I wrote to the Montreal, QC (CA) plotter printing place, MPRepro and they said :

Bonjour,
Oui, nous imprimons cette grandeur A0 sur papier bond 8.60$ ou vellum (plus mince et transparent) 12.00$ + frais de poste

FYI, that comes to about $6.69 USD, 5.40 euros and 4.79 pounds.