The Sewing Place

Using jersey for a non-stretch pattern?

sewingj

Using jersey for a non-stretch pattern?
« on: February 09, 2018, 13:41:43 PM »
I`ve just bought this
https://www.sewessential.co.uk/misses-tunic-new-look-pattern-6527

I thought it was a jersey pattern but it isn`t (I know, I should have read the details)
I was intending to make view B as a t-shirt - initially using up jersey from my stash to get the fit right.
Would it still be ok to do this?
Suggested fabrics are "Challis, chiffon, cotton types, crepe, georgette, silky types"

lakaribane

Re: Using jersey for a non-stretch pattern?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 13:53:08 PM »
The usual advice is to go down one size. Using a knit might make the garment droopier, hence the need to size down and use the stretch, at least in the bust.

Given how loose a fit this top has and how wide the neckline is, I don't think you'll have problems getting in and out of it.

tumblina

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 16:33:14 PM »
You might also consider stabilizing the shoulder seams with clear elastic or twill tape - if the shoulders and neckline are stable, the rest of the shirt will hang just fine.

Speaking of, check how they finish the neckline. I wouldn't want to do facings on a knit.

sewingj

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 19:55:09 PM »
Thanks Both.
 Going by the finished measurements there does seem to be quite a lot of ease in the bust so I will try going down a size.  There are facings but I think I have done them before in a knit and didn`t have a problem.  The facings are interfaced and I will stabilise the shoulders.
I think I`ve got enough in my stash for a first attempt so it won`t be a disaster if it goes wrong

maliw

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 20:37:16 PM »
Nice pattern and yes I'd go for it in 'jersey'.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 21:16:44 PM »
Going by the finished measurements there does seem to be quite a lot of ease in the bust so I will try going down a size.
It's such a full style and if there's plenty of ease in the bust I'd suggest going down 2 sizes, not one, as that's what you'd normally do when substituting knit for woven.

I like the pattern and think my daughter would like this so I might note this one and get it when there's a half price sale.  :)

Don't forget to let us know how it works out.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.