The Sewing Place

Would you?

Efemera

Would you?
« on: February 09, 2018, 10:01:26 AM »
Really showcase this...it came up on Minerva Crafts FB feed. If I’d fitted that it would be in the bin!

Ellabella

Re: Would you?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 10:06:46 AM »
No!!!!

Sandra

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 10:08:07 AM »
Ugh!

An unflattering crumpled mess. Has it got some sort of gathering down the sleeves to give it such a wrinkled look down the arms?

And for me...the colour's not nice either.

Sandra.
xxx

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 10:49:10 AM »
Has someone not taken their medication.  Horrible, wrinkly, mess although I think the sleeves may actually be a design feature.  0_0

Sewingsue

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 10:53:39 AM »
Looking at the top of the sleeves it does look as if there is some sort of designed fullness going on, but if so then the pose isn't showing it off properly.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

StitchinTime

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 11:01:51 AM »
There's also a version in white. The sleeves on the white version are different, but both versions have the same wrinkles from the neckline.
https://www.minervacrafts.com/blogger-network/post/my-lion-and-zebra-sweaters

Edited: The yellow and white tops are two different patterns.
Yellow - https://www.minervacrafts.com/shop/sewing/patterns/iam-lion-i-am-ladies-sewing-pattern-lion-sweater-top
White - https://www.minervacrafts.com/shop/sewing/patterns/iam-zebre-i-am-ladies-sewing-pattern-zebre-sweater-top
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 11:03:59 AM by StitchinTime »

Francesca

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 11:06:17 AM »
This is how the pattern sleeve is supposed to look according to the sample

So it does have fullness, and is quite loose on the arm but not meant to be THAT wrinkly.

Nor are the bands meant to be that puckered.

Awful.

Girl needs to learn an FBA.

Morgan

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 11:34:47 AM »
To be fair, the maker does write about aspects that she would change / do differently - for example she believes that she made the neckband too tight and thought that it was that that caused the gathers/draglines from the neck.  She also mentions that on the style the armhole is quite deep.

In addition, it's unclear about how accomplished the maker is with making fit adjustments.  There are lots of people who can assemble the pieces of a pattern and make a good job of the sewing techniques used.  They may not yet have well honed fitting skills.  There are lots of examples of this all over, including on PR and on several blogs.
The two key issues for me are - first, someone is sewing  (big round of applause) and second, they are aware that there are things to learn and improve (whatever level they are at with sewing and fitting skills)

Maybe the neckband does need to be longer and although I cannot say for certain from photos, maybe a sloping shoulder adjustment and/or possibly an FBA might apply.

The top is an on trend style and it's a choice for someone with sloping and/or narrow shoulders to consider - but as anyone with sloping shoulders knows a pattern alteration is necessary.
It's not a style that would work for me as well as others do with my broad and square shoulders.

Manuela

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 13:13:40 PM »
I feel slightly uneasy about seeing someone who seems to be a beginner being criticised online. It always takes me back to what happened to me when I was about 14 years old. Here is the story:

I made a tiered skirt to the best of my (very limited and self taught) ability. We're talking about the late seventies here, advise and guidance was hard to come by, and no-one in my family knew how to sew.
Anyway, I worked hard on the skirt and conquered gathering a 3-tiered skirt and was happy as Larry about my accomplishment. I wore it with a cropped top to spend my birthday money and some money I saved working during school holidays in a fabric shop. While queueing to pay, I couldn't help but overhear two ladies behind me criticising my skirt loudly, commenting that 'she should at least have matched up the seams'. The 14-year old me had no idea that one should do that. I went home in tears, took the skirt apart and re-did the tiers, matching the side seams. Before doing that, I actually thought that maybe I was just not good enough to sew...
Until today I only ever criticise someone's sewing when specifically asked to do so. When asked to comment on the quality of something expensive friends bought, I am usually vague when I think it's no good - why hurt them.
My students, especially the beginners, I usually ask "Are you happy with that?" If they say yes, I ask "Is there anything you'd like to look better?" Then I show them how to improve and let them grow.
I still remember how horrible I felt when I left that fabric shop 41 years ago...

Sorry for the long post  :vintage:

Efemera

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 13:25:53 PM »
I take on board what everyone says but to use it as an advertisement doesn’t do her or the company any favours.

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 13:27:38 PM »
@Manuela: you were 14 and that was a long time ago.  You have learnt and grown.

Whilst I have moved past GOMI, some of the less harsh criticisms make the points that need to be made.  My sewing is a constant source of frustration because I don't have the skill or patience to try and fail for however many times it takes to get a good enough fit BUT I am aware when I put up a review that all is not right.  What I find atonishing are those who turn out mediocre work time and time again.  They seemingly have no insight into what they should be sewing for their bodyshape, pick unsuitable fabrics for what they do make and generally don't seem to care about such things as pressing or presentation in general.

Manuela

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 13:30:54 PM »
@Efemera , I wholeheartedly agree with that, the company should not have put that shirt/her on a spot.

Manuela

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 13:42:49 PM »
@Manuela: you were 14 and that was a long time ago.  You have learnt and grown.

Whilst I have moved past GOMI, some of the less harsh criticisms make the points that need to be made.  My sewing is a constant source of frustration because I don't have the skill or patience to try and fail for however many times it takes to get a good enough fit BUT I am aware when I put up a review that all is not right.  What I find atonishing are those who turn out mediocre work time and time again.  They seemingly have no insight into what they should be sewing for their bodyshape, pick unsuitable fabrics for what they do make and generally don't seem to care about such things as pressing or presentation in general.
Utta, I have the sneaky suspicion that they just don't know better. They attempt to copy what they see and try on in H&M, Zara, etc. It isn't helped by the fact that good sewing tuition is not easy to come by. Many of my students (aged 12-18) have never used an iron before, because it is deemed to be dangerous by their parents. I usually tell them that 50% of sewing is pressing... 

UttaRetch

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 13:46:09 PM »
 0_0  0_0 pressing is dangerous.  That must be it.

Manuela

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 13:51:54 PM »
@UttaRetch you should listen to our food tec teachers, parents complaining that students have access to knifes when they are not allowed to use them at home and get their food pre-cut.