The Sewing Place

Using knit pattern for woven fabric?

hernibs

Using knit pattern for woven fabric?
« on: May 18, 2019, 22:10:46 PM »
Can this be done successfully - can't seem to find any guidlines.  You tube will give me the opposite.
You see I have a pattern for a top with 'sleeves' which are the elongation of the shoulders.
Can I use it for woven fabric - what are the restrictions if any.  Thanks.
Sorry if this is not the right place to post.

Vezelay

Re: Using knit pattern for woven fabric?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 22:32:59 PM »
I've seen it done successfully with pants, hernibs - usually means sizing up by one or two depending on the pattern. But I could foresee all kinds of problems with tops as wovens tend to have bust darts and other fitting/shaping. This article says much the same thing, basically that for a bodice it's not worth the bother. My feeling too!

Could you find a similar pattern intended for wovens? If you put a picture up someone here might  find you one.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 23:04:37 PM »
The crucial difference between knit fabric and woven fabric is usually the amount of stretch.  You do get some wovens with a bit of stretch and some knits are very stable and hardly stretch at all.

Patterns designed for knits (stretch) usually have some sort of indication as to how much the fabric needs to stretch - ie 4 inches must stretch to 5 inches, or 10 cm must stretch to 15cm, or whatever.  If the fabric you use stretches more then the required amount it's usually OK, but if it stretches less it either won't go around you or it won't allow you to move properly! 

If your pattern has grown-on sleeves (with no arm scye seam) it is probably relying on the stretch of the fabric to allow you to move your arms forward and when your arms come back the fabric will relax and stay close to the body.  If you cut bigger to allow for that movement it will be OK when your arms are forwards, but when down by your sides there will be excess fabric across your back.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

hernibs

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 23:35:05 PM »
Thanks for your replies and for the very informative link.....after all that I won't bother with this top now....I was trying to jiggle about with a pattern for a top and an A-line skirt to get the best use of the fabric I have ....will move on to something else. Grateful to you.