The Sewing Place

Millerain waxed cotton

Gernella

Millerain waxed cotton
« on: February 11, 2018, 15:23:06 PM »
https://www.profabrics.co.uk/collections/cottons-naturals/products/british-millerain-sahara-waxed-cotton?variant=48273888070

Only got one colour, red, but at that price I can live with my favourite colour.  I've already got a lovely Burberry style lining ready as well,  I've seen this fabric at nearly £30 a meter.

Saw it first on the Guthrie & Ghana blog with a Kelly jacket
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Efemera

Re: Millerain waxed cotton
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 15:43:24 PM »
It says Emerald available...I like the shade of
green

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 17:34:00 PM »
The emerald is the only colour now available.

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 09:41:28 AM »
Sorry, my eye must have been drawn to the red, there is emerald available.  I've looked this morning and it still is.  I've refreshed the page and it still stands as available.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 12:59:01 PM »
I don't need to know it's still available.  Really, I don't.  I've made two coats and three jackets recently.  I don't need any.  Honest, I don't.  It's cheap though.  And I could use it for other things. 
No, I will resist!!

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 14:50:19 PM »
Oh but you don't need to make it up now, it's forward thinking, storage for the future and at that price it is a bargain.  I'm sitting on mine until around August.  I still haven't settled on the pattern yet and that could take weeks of procrastination, switching from one to another and then back.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 18:51:15 PM »
I bought some of the red last week, hopefully it will be here tomorrow.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

sewmuchmore

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 17:57:33 PM »
Fabric arrived today. It is very red. Nice quality but a little stiffer than I was expecting so will rethink the style of jacket I had in mind.

Janet

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 10:54:19 AM »
Fabric arrived today. It is very red. Nice quality but a little stiffer than I was expecting so will rethink the style of jacket I had in mind.

Mine came yesterday as well.  I noticed after I'd bought it that it was only around 230 grams (from memory) and the other Sahara one was 340, so to me it was thinner, which suits me better as I was going to put a pre-quilted lining in.  Love the red though.  I've still not decided on the pattern yet, wavering from Kelly, Tosti or Minoru.  So that will keep me entertained for hours.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 18:25:21 PM »
I keep looking at the Kelly (as mentioned else were) but seems expensive for what it is. There are a couple of very similar patterns on the Lekala site and Pennine Outdoors have there own  pattern which is only £3
http://www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk/patterns/Adult-Jacket-and-Coat-Patterns/pat-27-pennine-jacket
I was also considering Vogue 9230 but take the gathers out and line it or Kwik sew 4015, then again I have a vintage Vogue jacket that is very nice  -< -< At this rate it will be next winter before I make my mind up.

Janet

Gernella

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 11:53:27 AM »
I'm afraid I'm not adventuress on sewing.  If it's something that is going to take weeks to do ( I don't get many hours in a week sewing) I like to read all the reviews first and see what problems, if any, other people have encountered. Some things I change on a pattern but mostly I stick to the script.

Ellabella

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 18:42:31 PM »
Having looked at this thread everyday I've taken the plunge and ordered three metres of the red  0_0.

I'll choose a pattern once I've felt the weight and the feel of the fabric.

Ploshkin's lovely Ziggi had inspired me to have a go.

Ellabella

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 16:22:29 PM »
It's just arrived and it's a lovely shade of red.

I mustn't open it until I've finished my coatigan and a quick baby quilt or they will never get finished.

And I suppose I should help himself with the decorating (sigh).