The Sewing Place

Fitting issues

Gernella

Fitting issues
« on: December 16, 2020, 12:03:53 PM »
My gradual loss of weight  (over 4 years ) meant that the beginning of last year saw quite a bit of alterations in progress on the waist and hips.

This year the penny has dropped that I should have taken the hem up at well.  I normally wear skirts on or above the knee with the odd lapse if the fabric seems too nice/pretty to cut a short hem.  I couldn't understand why they suddenly seemed longer than they did before but decided to put it down to my previous rather generous stomach and hips pulling the hem up.

I wouldn't mind but I hate having to do alterations, there is absolutely no fun in it :S
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ohsewsimple

Re: Fitting issues
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 13:11:07 PM »
Oh I so agree @Gernella.  But it feels good when you’ve done and almost like having a new garment. 
I had to take up trousers....or take them down from the top as they were dragging on the floor. 
And I had several posh tops that needed altering.  Not that I go anywhere to wear them at the moment.  :rolleyes:

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 13:46:05 PM »
I've just bought a RTW top @Ohsewsimple that DH saw in a magazine.  He really liked it, he said, and it was nice in the picture, taken in summer, so I bought it, reduced so not a lot of money, although I had to get a size larger because the others were all gone.  So it's a bit loose on the sleeves, body, but not too much. but the rest looks okay and he likes it.  I must have tried it on, on a sunny day because on a grey rainy morning there is something about it that is not quite right.  I've got what I call a blousey look.  I think a bit of a nip and tuck is required but I'm not sure it will ever get done, perhaps a sunny day will do the job
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 14:13:22 PM »
Let's have a look - maybe you're overthinking it!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 14:34:57 PM »
Agree with Catllar about having a look. People may then have suggestions

Starryfish

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 16:08:44 PM »
I lost about 10lb in the last year, and it does not seem to be coming back, so I need to take in my favourite winter trousers. My jeans are loose as well but as they are coming to the end of their life, I won't bother. I have a new pair planned and may make a size smaller.

It's gone mostly from my hips and tummy but not much from my waist.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 18:53:51 PM »
Here you are @Catllar @Ohsewsimple

This fits, mine seemed okay at first but wearing it now too big,  sleeve bottoms too wide and probably sides as well,should have sent back if not for DH

I haven't got her face/body either but I'm stuck with that.

Fortunately I have the tools <3  But, it will have to join the queue.

Catllar

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 21:17:47 PM »
Love it - looks like a simple enough alteration - just to oosh it in down the sides and the sleeves.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 10:19:10 AM »
Exactly @Catllar I actually like my sleeve bottoms quite close, even Miss Model seems to have them a bit too baggy for me.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 11:35:28 AM »
I don’t think that’s too difficult to alter either.  Worth doing.