The Sewing Place

Riccar RL624 Overlocker

b15erk

Riccar RL624 Overlocker
« on: February 12, 2018, 15:57:34 PM »
I have had this machine from new, and a few months ago I broke the feed dogs while trying to replace the stuck blade.

The blade has been replaced, and the feed dogs (thank you Helen Howes), but the machine has been sitting there for some time now as I can't get a stitch out of it, and it's making a noise that it wasn't making before.

I'm going to have one last stab at it, before sending it to the tip.

Anyone worked on overlockers before?  Any tips?

Technical information on Youtube is very thin on the ground, and I can't get hold of a repair manual anywhere.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Madame Cholet

Re: Riccar RL624 Overlocker
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 16:33:12 PM »
All I've done with overlockers is clean/oil/swap the blades on my ancient Singer 14U so I may not be of much use here, but my first thoughts were - what is the noise like? can you tell where it is coming from? And is the motor turning??
 :)

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 16:40:54 PM »
MC, this is the last chance for this OL.  I know it works, motor is fine etc, but since I changed the feed dogs the is a grating sound when it tries to make a stitch.

I keep this machine at work - it's about 30+ years old!  just for the odd job I get to do at work. 

There is one for sale down south and atm it's very cheap, so I may bid on it...  Hopefully, the threat of a new machine will make mine behave!

I'm loathe to spend more money on it as it is a spare machine.  I'll be watching Youtube tonight!

I'll have another look tomorrow.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 16:44:45 PM »
Could there possibly be a tiny scrap of broken metal stuch somewhere inside?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

daisy

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 17:00:10 PM »
I once managed to bend, ever so slightly, one of those skinny little bars on the needle plate of my Bernette 004d. No idea what they're called  >:) But it resulted in a horrific grating noise.

Did the damage trying to release a big polar fleece snarl up. I took it apart and with a little gentle coaxing got the bar straightened out again. The overlocker ran fine after, but I've been a bit wary of multiple layers of fleece ever since  :S

Just mentioning it on the off chance it could be something similar.

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 15:30:37 PM »
OK, well, to update.  The overlocker is now sewing although the tension is far from right.  I cannot though make the knives cut - the top one is pushing the machine under the foot.  I've scoured the internet looking for info, but there is little specific to the knife settings.

There's and outside chance that there may be a spring missing from the top knife, but I'm not sure.  I found a spring on the table, and I'm now wondering if it's come from the top knife assembly - it looks about the right size.  I'll have a look tomorrow....

If we have any overlocker geniuses (genii?), who have had this problem, and solved it - please point me in the right direction!

The one for sale down south turned out to be a no-no as it was only a three thread.

Jessie