The Sewing Place

Why I started making tutus

Lollipop

Why I started making tutus
« on: February 12, 2018, 21:41:48 PM »
The reason was to make dance costumes for my three granddaughters. This is my little granddaughter no 2 wearing her new tutu for her very first competition. She was concentrating so much that she forgot to smile but her feet were beautiful and she remembered all of her dance. She even got a medal for fourth place and was thrilled. Nanny was very, very proud!! <3

Kenora

Re: Why I started making tutus
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 22:18:55 PM »
She (and her tutu) are gorgeous.  <3 I love the look of concentration on her face.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Yellowfeather

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 05:34:43 AM »
Fabulous tutu, and beautiful granddaughter wearing it!  Well done both of you.

sewingj

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 07:55:09 AM »
That`s amazing Lolipop
Could you give a brief outline of how you do it?  I wouldn`t have a clue how to start!

Marniesews

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 23:44:33 PM »
She looks lovely in it and it's clear she wears it proudly. :D Even when we're gone, our granddaughters will look at their old photographs once in a while and remember that we made them with love.

I think lots of us dance dress makers start off sewing for a family member - I don't know how the other families afford it and that's why we then get inundated by requests from them I suppose. Actually, I've pulled back because it was taking over my life and my DGD's dresses have made great strides now I'm not leaving her elaborate junior dresses until after I've finished the hoards of juvenile dresses which don't really have so much for me to learn from now.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Missie

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 09:52:51 AM »
Oh love her!  Well done, to both of you!

Lollipop

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 00:58:37 AM »
Thank you, she's a sweetie and was so very nervous.

I know what you mean Marnie, I seem to be in the sewing room constantly at festival time as I find it very hard to say no when asked!! I am promising myself that I will not take on too much this year. ><

Sewingj, I started with a Jalie pattern and had a go at a simple stretch tutu before buying a structured tutu pattern from Tutus that Dance and had a try at one similar to this one. The bodice is fairly a straightforward piece of construction but it's stitching the ruffles on the pants that is a bit awkward. I decided to take a course with an experienced tutu maker which was very useful. Always learning now and getting better all the time. There are a few tutorials on You tube too.
Was Sewnanny

Twan

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 19:53:43 PM »
How wonderful! Very nice!