The Sewing Place

Sewing Mistakes. Grrrrr!

ClareInStitches

Sewing Mistakes. Grrrrr!
« on: February 13, 2018, 16:08:50 PM »
Aaaargh! Pressed my jacket shoulder seams. Stood back to admire the beauty ...... and realised that I had sewn the outsides to the insides, and it's black tweedy fabric!
Nothing to do, but unpick and try again. Bother, Grump, Mumble.

Thank you for letting me get that off my chest.

Clare

fajita

Re: Sewing Mistakes. Grrrrr!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 16:16:14 PM »
 :toast:

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 16:17:53 PM »
 :toast:  :toast:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 17:44:32 PM »
I'm peering carefully at both sides of my fabric before I join anything - I bet I'll still get something wrong.
I put in my first exposed zip today, all beautifully topstitched and it was just perfect.  Then I found I couldn't open the zip, it was just jammed shut.  Nothing for it but to unpick it all and use another zip.  I haven't managed to unjam the original so it's in the bin.
Life's too short for ironing.

ClareInStitches

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 21:22:53 PM »
Oh. no. Ploshkin! That is so disappointing. I think that we both deserve  :toast: :toast:

fajita

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 21:52:18 PM »

Morgan

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 22:01:35 PM »
Aah but - if you are making mistakes you are making new things, learning and most important of all - you are doing something.

It's amazing how many sewing mistakes can become design opportunities.

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 11:48:04 AM »
For some reason just lately I've seem to have sewn a straight line then discovered that fabric has bunched underneath and got caught.  Fortunately I have a first class stitch ripper, but it is getting annoying and a silly error.  Still at one time it was sewing the pattern instructions in, so I suppose it's an improvement sticking with fabric.  Mind you, one place you learn fast on that daft trick, doing it with an overlocker!
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

SkoutSews

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 13:00:01 PM »
Ah yes, there's no going back with the overlocker! Once that knife has had a chew, it's goodnight and thank you.

I spent over an hour yesterday afternoon trying to put in a sleeve without bunching or tucking. Couldn't figure out why I was making such a hash of it. After the second unpicking session I gave up and had a cup of tea. When I went back to it I realised I'd been trying to fit the left sleeve to the right armhole  :S

Both sleeves are now in and I braved the overlocker to neaten the sleeveheads -  without incident. Phew!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 13:22:59 PM »
And why is it always the most difficult colours and fabrics to unpick that you go wrong with?   :S

Sewcycle

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 18:06:05 PM »
If I'm being organised I try to stitch black items in black and lower thread grey. However I'm usually not all that organised. :[ I've just done a black fluffy jacket and spent ages trying to unpick without making it bald!  :\
'Is there a life before breakfast'