The Sewing Place

Help! Sell or keep?

Snowgoose

Help! Sell or keep?
« on: February 14, 2018, 12:04:23 PM »
Advice desperately needed please! 

I have a Singer 401 in a beautiful condition in a perfect cabinet, and also a Singer 319 again, beautiful condition in a table.  Would you keep or sell????  I may have a very long haul move coming up and need to drastically, drastically clear out!  I simply cannot take nearly a dozen sewing machines  :'(

I don't use either of these.  Would anyone here be interested in them - I can't bear to put them on eBay, I want someone who will love and cherish them  :)

I have no idea of value.  Please advise me, someone  :(
Help!!!

LeilaMay

Re: Help! Sell or keep?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 19:07:20 PM »
If you were going to keep one of them, I'd keep the 401. The 319 takes different needles, and according to Helen Howes it will become increasingly difficult to find these. You can make alterations to the bobbin case to make it accommodate standard needles, but it might be easier to let that one go and keep the 401?

319 could go for £150 or more.

Always hard to choose, you have my sympathy - I too have had to let machines go when we moved here a year ago.

arrow

Re: Help! Sell or keep?
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 19:32:44 PM »
There's a round shank needle that has turned out to be a good alternative to the 319 needles (206x13), it's exactly the same needle but you need to mind a bit to get the tread groove on the right side. I think it's listed as DBx1 industrial, but a few domestic machines use it as well.

That said, there's no need to keep a machine you never use and don't plan to use. Both should sell reasonably fast depending upon the price you ask and how quickly it has to be done.